6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Can't drop power steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meathead is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't drop power steering rack

1999 Civic EX 4D Sedan

I can't for the life of me get the steering rack to drop. The spline that attaches to the steering column won't drop far enough to clear the opening. My driver side inner tie rod doesn't bend enough to angle it. I've shoved the driver side inner tie rod in as far I can I still don't have enough clearance. I've looked at Eric The Car's video on honda rack, and mine just one angle.

Outside of removing the inner tie rod, I don't really know what else to do.
Old 03-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't drop power steering rack

Where's your service manual????

FSM says to remove the left (drivers) tie rod.
Old 03-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meathead is an unknown quantity at this point

I removed the outer tie rod that attaches to the wheel. The inner rod that attaches to the rack stays on I thought.
Old 03-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

In my world the 'tie rod' is the inner part attached to the rack. That's what has to come off.