6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

New here and I have a question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shammer123 is an unknown quantity at this point
New here and I have a question...

I have a 1998 civic, I bought it really cheap and I would like to fix it up. The check engine light is out, I found out why the o2 sensors are unplugged. Will this hurt my engine? It runs fine.
Old 01-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New here and I have a question...

Hard to say yes or no from here.
Maybe someone unplugged them for a reason.
Have you reconnected the sensors and cleared codes to see what happens?
Old 01-06-2017
Registered!!

I have not hooked them up, I have no idea where they go. My mechanical experience is very limited, brakes oil change, struts, bolt on parts. I didn't clear the code. The motor in the car isn't the original. I am clueless about what goes where. I know there isn't an ac installed.
Old 01-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

check engine light
o2 sensors are unplugged
The motor in the car isn't the original.
I hope the car was dirt cheap.

I hope the car doesn't have to pass an emissions test of any sort.
If someone replaced the engine but left (important) sensors unplugged, it's a hack job IMO. What else was left undone/unplugged/loose/leaking/rotten/ignored/neglected/faulty/extra bolts/forgot to install important bolts?

Will this hurt my engine? It runs fine.
Would hurt emissions more than the engine at first, but if it runs very bad or overfuels, it can ruin the cat which could lead to engine damage. If it runs too rich it might run pretty darn good --but running too rich could also lead to cat and internal engine damage such as ring and bearing wear.
Old 01-06-2017
Registered!!

Yeah it was cheap, I am hoping to restore it to its glory. I'm excited to be a civic owner. I am not too sure if it has a cat. I saw some flexibility pipe but I didn't see the cat and I plan on replacing the whole exhaust system from the headers on out.

As for emissions it has a good sticker till Sept then 2018 it turns 20 and in my state no more emissions needed.

Last edited by Shammer123; 01-06-2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added more info