6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

96 ex coupe passenger window problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
econowannobee is an unknown quantity at this point
96 ex coupe passenger window problem

My passenger window won't roll up or down. I have voltage coming out of the switch and to the plug where the regulator plugs in. Also, before I replaced the entire motor/regulator assembly I found good voltage on the wires between the plug and motor. I didn't want to cut into the wires on the new assembly to test them for voltage. With the new motor assembly installed I ran a jumper cable from the negative side of the battery to one of the bolt heads that hold the motor on to the door thinking maybe I had a bad ground but the motor still does not move. The only thing I can think of to check now is unplug the motor and run a hotwire directly to the motor side of the plug but it's raining and 39 degrees out. I had to throw a tarp on it and run for cover! I guess my question is, is it possible that the new motor from O'Reilly's is bad? How do I test the motor? Thanks, Jim in Vancouver Washington.
Old 12-25-2016
Registered!!

Re: 96 ex coupe passenger window problem

Update: ran a ground directly from battery to motor assembly mounting bolt, ran hotwire directly to motor plug pins. No movement up or down. I also removed the glass to ensure there was no binding. Is there a ground that I'm missing or is the new motor just bad?
Old 12-25-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

This system is rather complicated for me and I do not have a 96 manual. Just a 94 and 2007. However..the motor should have 4 leads red (hot),black (ground),white yellow/green strip. There are 3 fuses. One in the under-hood fuse relay box. Three more in the under dash fuse box. Be real careful about powering it from my info since I do not have the correct manual.
Old 12-26-2016
Registered!!

Thanks RIPSAW, the motor has two leads, one for the up and one for the down. I'm wondering if the opposite lead works as a ground. IE, if one lead is powered from the switch, the other lead would remain grounded? With no actual ground wire, and seeing that the mounting bolts are insulated from the motor, this is the only theory I could think of. I'll take the driver side apart today and do some testing to see how it's supposed to work.
Jim in Vancouver (not BC) Washington (not DC).
Old 12-26-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

No grounding path on motors case.

Up down is done by polarity swap.

The service manual is readily available online.

Open/Broken wire near door harness flexing points most likely.