6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

High mileage 98 Civic build

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fartrari is an unknown quantity at this point
High mileage 98 Civic build

I just bought a 98 civic lx with over 230k miles on it. I have no record of previous work done except for timing belt which was done recently. I want to start building it and upgrading some parts, but not sure where to start. What should be the first thing I should get? New head? Cams? A new block? Or just a new motor all together? I would like the most important stuff first cause I have very limited income. And what should be some things I should check for since the motor has such high miles
Old 12-23-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: High mileage 98 Civic build

Are you building it for more power or are you talking just to replace parts that are "worn"?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only things I would worry about (if you call it worry) would be the battery, alternator, starter, distributor. Stuff that would leave you stranded if it failed.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Old 12-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fartrari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Are you building it for more power or are you talking just to replace parts that are "worn"?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only things I would worry about (if you call it worry) would be the battery, alternator, starter, distributor. Stuff that would leave you stranded if it failed.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Yeah sorry I did mean build it for more power but also for reliability. But mainly power. My ultimate goal is 300 hp. What would be the best start? I'm thinking of doing a mini me. and ok I'll check the alternator and other goods to see if I can find out when/if they have been replaced. Thanks

Last edited by fartrari; 12-24-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...8-posible.html