6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

99 EX Cooling system issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SJRhino is an unknown quantity at this point
99 EX Cooling system issue

I have a 1999 Civic EX with a D16Y8. I've had a disappearing coolant issue that I'm attempting to resolve. After the car overheated I initially saw the water pump was leaking. I didn't have the time to fix myself, so I had the water pump and timing belt replaced. I didn't drive more than 15 minutes before the temp gauge started climbing past normal and then white smoke was coming from the engine compartment. With the fan on it looked like the white mist was coming from the radiator, so I changed that out this morning. Afterwards I test drove it again and white steam came out from back under the connector pictured below - I put my hand back under and could feel it blowing out. I'm guessing the head gasket is blown. Anything else that could be the problem back under there?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic coolant leak.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	89274  
Old 11-21-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 99 EX Cooling system issue

*Edited*

Is it gas or coolant that's coming out?

If it's hot air it could be that you're so low on coolant from the leak that the system is boiling the remaining coolant and you are feeling steam.

remove the sensor, clean all the oil from around it, clean the sensor, perhaps use some silicon tape and reinstall it.

-Fill the coolant to full
-run the car with the rad cap off.
-if the level drops fill it again until you no longer see bubbles.
-run the car like this until you see operating temperature.

-cap it up, take her for a rip.

- when you get back there should be no over heating
-the level should be on full
-the fans shuld run
-both hoses should be hot.

-if the coolant is low you have a leak, possibly head gasket (yhis could take a few days to see so check every day for a week).

-if the coolant is full and it overheats check
-to make sure both hoses where hot
-fans were blowing.

Last edited by mac25; 11-21-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 EX Cooling system issue

Arrow points to the gap between the engine block and the cylinder head?
Blown head gasket, and maybe it warped the head if it has been overheated.