6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Tranny Clunk, Can't Move

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
butterblum is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny Clunk, Can't Move

I accidentally dropped the clutch pedal in my '99 Civic tonight while I was in first gear. My foot was on the brake when it happened. There was a clunk, but my engine never stalled out. I have not had any issues with my tranny before this.
Now, I cannot shift into any gear; the transmission seems to either be stuck in neutral because there is a break in the shift linkage, or the clutch seems to be constantly engaged. The engine starts and runs fine.
My clutch pedal does not feel any different, and it is hard to tell if the shifter itself feels any looser. I AM able to move the shifter into any position without the clutch pedal pushed in.
Where should I start looking? Did the transmission get thrown back into neutral because the shifter linkage broke? Where do I examine the linkage: under the center console, or from under the car?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks guys
Old 11-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tranny Clunk, Can't Move

I'll SWAG an axle broke in half...

Got speedometer movement?

Jack up the front and put it up on safety stands, Look under the car with it in gear and running to see if either axle or a CV joint broke? (an inner CV cup spinning but the outboard cup is not, or an axle shaft broke in half---common in the rust belt after many years of corrosion have eaten into the steel shaft)

Both axles still fully seated in the trans?

If nothing obvious is found externally of the trans, next steps mimght be to pull trans, see if the clutch disc stripped or broke its center out or figure out of something inside the trans broke.
Old 11-04-2016
Registered!!

I can shift into any gear without the clutch even while the engine is running. The speedometer does not register any speed when I push the gas pedal. HOWEVER, when I shift gears with the engine running, the speedometer DOES register speed (it doesn't vary, it is just a different constant speed for each respective gear). There also is a little bit of rattling.
Sounds like an axle issue?
Tomorrow I will have to check if it is a CV joint or the intermediate shaft....

Old 11-04-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So if you stick it in a gear and rev up the engine the speedometer will rise.

Updated guess: Axle related problem, and it is probably on the passengers side.

Any recent work done that might have involved that axle? Clutch job, axle replaced, trans pulled out, crash?
Old 11-04-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You CAN NOT shift it into any gear without the clutch while the engine is running. That is not possible (unless you rev match and power shift).

I believe you can move the shifter, but that does not mean the gears are changing.
Old 11-04-2016

Originally Posted by mac25
You CAN NOT shift it into any gear without the clutch while the engine is running. That is not possible (unless you rev match and power shift).

I believe you can move the shifter, but that does not mean the gears are changing.
Yes it can be done. Break one axle or pull one axle out of the trans and try it yourself.

If you shove the stick too quick it may crunch gears a little, but if you just push the stick gently it can go easily into a forward gear within a second or two.
Old 11-05-2016
Registered!!

Crawled under the car this morning.
Passenger's side drive axle is snapped clean in half.
I will probably replace both at the same time.
Old 11-05-2016

If there was a rubber donut (damper) in the middle of the shaft, it probably broke where it sat.
Old 11-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If there was a rubber donut (damper) in the middle of the shaft, it probably broke where it sat.
Yes sir. That is exactly where it broke.