6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Rough acceleration when started back up warm.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EthanJM is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rough acceleration when started back up warm.

Originally Posted by ezone
If you disconnected one at a time and each one made a noticeable difference in the way it ran (and all roughly equal) , then all 4 cylinders were (at least) contributing at the the time you did the check.

Techron is one of the better products that can actually be beneficial (not snake oil like so many others), it was a serious help on lots of older European cars that had big problems with carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves that would cause running problems. Regular use in low doses was best for long term benefits on those cars. Read the bottle though, they used to say something about limiting how much of the stuff you could use between oil changes (at least on the big bottles it used to give a limit).
I think all of the Chevron fuels has Techron in it, if you have Chevron gas stations in your area.

These days regular use of Top Tier Gas is probably the best thing you can do without using extra additives. Read all about why and where here: http://www.toptiergas.com/
(Chevron is on the list too)

No-fault-code running problems are so much fun (for me, not for anyone else).
Thought the spark plug test made enough sense to be viable in some way.

I buy most of my gas at kroger, not sure what tier that is. In fact, I'm pretty sure this all started after filling up there, it was during a very rainy and humid week with plenty of temperature fluctuations, and that is why I thought it was a little water in the tank, but I no longer think that. Maybe they gave me dirty fuel, I didn't see a tanker nearby, but maybe he just left.

I did some research about which cleaner to buy, that one was getting a lot of recommendations. The car has now gone 100 miles on it, it has had plenty of warm starts, and so far it is doing fine. I hope I'm not speaking too soon though. It would be nice if I got lucky and it was just a dirty injector.

All I know is this problem has been very consistent for a week or so, it started intermittent, but then a week ago it would predictably do it every time the car got a warm start. Every time, a very repeatable test with the same conclusion every time. I put that injector cleaner in there, and something changed, hopefully it's not just a coincidence.

Oh, still no codes. Maybe that is a good thing this time, I'm hoping so.
Old 09-11-2016
Registered!!

Still so far so good. Looking more and more like it was dirty injectors.
Old 09-17-2016
Registered!!

600 miles later and things seem great. I must have had clogged injectors. I'm updating for any future potential lurkers with the same problem.