6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Overheated and died, replaced radiator and wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crunde85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Overheated and died, replaced radiator and wont start.

My girlfriend's 96 Civic EX died on her way home the other day. She said the temp was in the red and she continued to drive for 5 minutes until it died. I dove there and saw coolant all over the ground. I added more coolant and it was leaking very bad. I managed to get it started, but it hardly ran and I idled it home and ordered a new radiator since it leaked all the coolant and caused the overheating.

I installed the new radiator today and filled it with coolant. The car will not start and stay running. It kicks over and sounds like it may start (sputters) but dies as soon as I touch the gas. I smell the gas and it is probably flooded as well.

Checked the OBDII and got codes: P0117 (Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input), P0303 (Cyl 3 misfire), P0304 (Cyl 4 misfire), and P1300 (Multi Misfire). Also it said "Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control" when I went to diagnose the fuel injection system. I cleared the codes after writing them down. Also disconnected the battery to reset the ECU.

I pulled the plugs and each one has a white spark when tested. Damaged a spark plug wire, so I replaced them today as well. Also did a compression test and get 150 PSI at each cylinder. Checked the oil and it looks brown and not discolored at all. I am replacing the ECT sensor now since it threw the code for it.

Any other suggestions to help me get it started? Or am I wasting my time with a dead engine? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overheated and died, replaced radiator and wont start.

If you expect to keep that car running it needs an engine. Period.

And driver needs some re-education.

Head gasket is blown , cylinder head is warped, rings compromised and will suffer loss of tension and oil consumption.
Old 08-27-2016
Registered!!

When the head gasket goes, does the oil always mix with the coolant? The oil is still brown and I got 150 PSI while cold. Just curious so I can improve my troubleshooting skills.
Old 08-27-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't necessarily have to mix.

I bet you can remove the 2 middle spark plugs, fill and pressurize the cooling system, and find water entering the cylinders
Old 08-27-2016
Registered!!

I did what you said. Used about 30psi from my air compressor and shot it into the overflow hose. The hoses plumped up, but no noticeable leaks inside any cylinders. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-27-2016

Holy poop thats too much you can cause things to explode.
System is designed for about 16 psi max

I'd pressurize the system and leave pressure on it for a while.
OTOH if you can get it to run again you could watch the radiator for endless bubbles from combustion leakage.