6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Door handle broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ccasey is an unknown quantity at this point
Door handle broke

On a cold winter's day last year, I reached for the driver's-side door handle on my '99 Civic EX, and the handle broke off in my hand. There is just enough plastic remaining that I can still open the door, but it takes a little finessing. Anyone have a similar experience, and does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to fix the handle (I'm guessing it will involve taking the door apart). Thanks!
Old 08-11-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Door handle broke

Part:

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/rnb...FcNehgodnYcCvw

How to:

Old 09-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EthanJM is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Door handle broke

My car came with both of them broken, drivers and passengers outside handles. It's one of the reasons I got it cheap. Went straight to the scrapyard and bought two new handles for five bucks. It was a finicky annoying job, but doable. Would have been easier if I had known about those two hidden screws in the video above. What was more concerning was how much plastic in the door broke. Hopefully the handles don't just break again, I imagine this probably happens more with the two door versions, those doors are heavy. I try to make a habit of doing most of the pulling by the frame of the door after the handle is used to just open it a bit.