6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

2000 Civic MB2 1.4 downstream O2 sensor wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdGasket is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Civic MB2 1.4 downstream O2 sensor wiring?

I have an 1.4 MB2 with a downstream O2 sensor plugged into the back of the cat. It is likely I'll need to change the cat as it keeps throwing a P0420 (cat efficiency) code and setting the engine check light. The problem for me is that the downstream O2 sensor sits on top of the cat and the wiring disappears into the floor and I can't see how to disconnect the O2 sensor wiring so that the cat can be removed. It looks like the wiring goes through the floor somewhere behind the centre console.

Can anyone tell me how I can access the downstream O2 sensor connector plug? I think there must be an easier way to change the cat than to have to remove the centre console! How do exhaust places do this job?
Old 03-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Civic MB2 1.4 downstream O2 sensor wiring?

I'm in the US, we don't have that exact version of the car that you have there.

A way around it:
See if you can unscrew the sensor while gently "encouraging" the wires to twist as you go. It should only need around 3-4 revolutions to remove the sensor, there is usually sufficient wire available to twist that much without serious train or damage to the wiring.
Upon installation, twist the sensor a few times before screwing it in, and try to get the number of turns equal as removal so when finished there is little or no undue twist in the wiring.

HTH
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdGasket is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. The wiring looks pretty short though before it gets to the car floor; I mean the cat isn't far below the floor and this sensor is on top so not much room at all between the end of the sensor and the floor. If it were on the side, your idea might have worked. I suppose I could try loosening it and once the cat piping has been disconnected, rotate the entire cat; I might find it won't undo in situ as there is hardly any room to get at it. Not a great design for maintenance.

I saw on an Integra forum that the idea with that car is to undo the bung and pull the wiring through from underneath to get at the connector; maybe that will work if the other connector wire has enough slack in it. Hoping someone in the UK can confirm; have asked the same question on a couple of other forums though they are not very lively ones.

Last edited by EdGasket; 03-07-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was on lunch break earlier.....
undo the bung and pull the wiring through from underneath
I was gonna suggest this next....