6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Ignition Timing 1998 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onyx98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ignition Timing 1998 Civic

My check engine light has been on for a while. I have to pass an emissions test. So I got it checked. The problem was the distributor. I replaced the distributor, but I believe the ignition timing is off. There is no ping, but she seems sluggish and is making a sort of muffled sound. Also not as gas efficient. My question is "can bad ignition timing cause an engine light code for TDC sensor error?"
Old 01-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ignition Timing 1998 Civic

When you replaced the distributor, the ignition timing has to be correctly adjusted, using a timing light and following the instructions in a service manual, and timing adjustment specification should be on the emissions label under the hood somewhere.

Incorrect ignition timing can and will cause poor engine performance and poor fuel economy, hard starting, failed emissions test, and probably some other things.

Incorrect timing should not cause a TDC censor code, that is typically caused by a bad TDC sensor.
However, I do recall some information about a missing metal shield from the coil could cause certain distributor related codes. Too lazy to look it up and I don't remember exactly which cars this info applied to, but I think I've mentioned it in this forum before.

Above all else, remember this: Aftermarket remanufactured distributors are crap.

HTH
Old 01-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onyx98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ignition Timing 1998 Civic

Thank for the info. I figured I needed to correct the timing. Mainly wanted to know whether I bought a new distributor for nothing. I'ma correct the timing tomorrow. Let you know what I get. Thanks for the help.