6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

I don't know what they did to this car, but I want to find another one LIKE it!

Old 12-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know what they did to this car, but I want to find another one LIKE it!

Some of you may have seen my recent post on the mess with our 2002 Civic EX, and all the problems. But on a more positive note, this other car is nothing short of amazing to me! We bought both cars after losing our other cars in accidents this year, in Denver's now-insane traffic. The 2002 EX with Vtec engine was a last minute rush buy, because the insurance car rental was about to run out, and we have a real mess with it now. But THIS car was bought after that and was apparently a "find".

It's a 2000 Civic LX and had 100k miles on it when we got it. When I test drove it, it seemed VERY zippy ( amazing pickup for an LX, and VERY smooth! ) I'm a light footed yet assertive driver - not a hyper-miler or anything, and not a heavy foot.

The emissions test in September had readings like I've never seen before. Look at the HC below.

We haven't been driving it much - just on Sundays so far, because Jennifer still has whiplash problems, so I've been driving her around in the 2002. But the 2002 just lost its transmission, so I started driving this 2000 now. I hadn't paid attention to the gas mileage yet - just filled the tank a couple of times without checking it, but I finally just did. It had me VERY curious.

You see, it didn't come down from the "full" mark until after 150 miles were driven on that tankful. So I'm thinking that maybe the fuel gauge is screwy and I'd better fill it up and see. So today at 321 miles, I'm getting nervous and I went and filled it. 7.731 gallons, and it cost me $13.13 at King Soopers gas pump here in Denver.

So I'm getting back in the car scratching my head, still thinking something is weird, because 2/3 of the driving was city and about 1/3 was highway and there was still about 40% of the tank left, according to the fuel gauge. The AC has been on about 2/3 the time with the heater too, because of windshield fogging in the cold lately. So I divide 321 by 7.731 and it equals 41.52 MPG. And it doesn't even make sense, because we had a couple of '98 Civics before this, and they got 30-34 MPG here in the city, and the 2002 Civic with Vtec has gotten as high as 35.7, but THIS?

So now I'm thinking; I don't know what someone did with this car, but I want another one just like it. A photo of the engine bay is below, if anyone can spot anything unusual and would care to speculate.

Old 12-02-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: I don't know what they did to this car, but I want to find another one LIKE it!

Well it is a lighter car then the seventh gen so that will increase mpg... but it could also be ecu error...

maybe it has that VW software installed, LOL!
Old 12-02-2015
Registered!!

Re: I don't know what they did to this car, but I want to find another one LIKE it!

Originally Posted by mac25
Well it is a lighter car then the seventh gen so that will increase mpg... but it could also be ecu error...

maybe it has that VW software installed, LOL!
ECU error? Like it's making the mixture leaner? The inside of the tailpipe is black, though, not indicating a super lean mix?

VW software?

Wait, you may be right on the weight. I didn't know this. I just Googled: https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#n...2000+civic+MPG

Coupe
Up to 35, 43
Sedan
Up to 32, 37

But this is the sedan.

Last edited by MamaBear2015; 12-02-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

How you drive makes a difference, and a lighter car with a less powerful engine should get better mileage.
Old 12-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
How you drive makes a difference, and a lighter car with a less powerful engine should get better mileage.
But this thing has startling zip to it.

Wow. I'm wondering if we can get another one like this, in the 2000 Civic LX sedan model.

The only things I'd replace are the flimsy driver's seat. Would put in one like from the 2002, which is much sturdier, if it would fit.

And that cup holder makes me crazy, with drink bottles flying all over the place when I make a turn. I'd replace that with one from the 2002 too, if it would fit.
Old 12-02-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the 2000 is lighter and have much better front suspension
Old 12-03-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I wasn't referring to the model (coupe/sedan), but the generation.

The seventh gen weighs 100pounds more than the 6th, but the power is the same (for the most part).

SO your new 6th gen will have a grater power to weight ratio, which will add to a faster feeling and better mpg.
Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
I wasn't referring to the model (coupe/sedan), but the generation.

The seventh gen weighs 100pounds more than the 6th, but the power is the same (for the most part).

SO your new 6th gen will have a grater power to weight ratio, which will add to a faster feeling and better mpg.
100 lbs is insignificant compared to overweight driver and passenger. I'm 260 and Jennifer is too.
Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
100 lbs is insignificant compared to overweight driver and passenger. I'm 260 and Jennifer is too.
100 lbs is about 4% of the overall weight, enough to make a difference I would think.
Old 12-05-2015
Registered!!

If we want another car like this one, what model years are best, between 1998 and 2002, to get the same kind of zippy smooth running engine as this and awesome MPG?
Old 12-05-2015
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

C'hart a few tanks to see if the trend continues.