6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

'98 Civic DX shorting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Derdiedas is an unknown quantity at this point
'98 Civic DX shorting issue

Was driving my '98 DX when I smelled a faint electrical burning smell, then the car lost power. No lights, no crank. With battery leads connected, battery voltage is near 0 VDC. With battery leads disconnected, battery voltage begins climbing back up from near 0 VDC back up to 12 VDC. The faint burnt smell is in engine compartment even after 2 days. So, either battery can't support a load, or a big short is holding down the voltage? Any ideas fellas?
Old 10-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '98 Civic DX shorting issue

Unbolt the alternator hot lead from the fusebox and recheck.
Wire will be either white or white/red.

If joy, then disconnect battery, reconnect lead at fusebox, then disconnect large wire from the alternator itself and retry.
Old 10-24-2015
Registered!!

What are the odds?? A full battery failure (confirmed and replaced)...and a manual transmission failure at the same time? The manual 5 speed shifts into any gear with or without clutch with engine on, and nada, no tranny. The clutch pilot reservior fluid is full. It's manual...can't be any fuses. Any guesses?
Old 10-24-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

check your linkage from the shifter to the transmission...maybe you lost/broke a bolt or something like that.
Old 10-24-2015
Registered!!

Nope. Can visually see the linkage responding to the shifter at the back of transmission. Although I can shift into any gear without the clutch and no grinding and engine on, when I do the same thing with clutch being let out I do see a minor drop in RPMs, but no stall at all. Clutch or transmission?
Old 10-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A wasted clutch would explain "faint burnt smell is in engine compartment even after 2 days"