6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

thoughts on plastidip

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave Brabant is an unknown quantity at this point
thoughts on plastidip

anyone plastidipped a full 4 door and if so how many cans did you use?
Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

Genyc07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: thoughts on plastidip

there are tons of YouTube videos on this. I would love to see your results.
Old 09-19-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It took me the better part of a can to do my emblems and the blade of my spoiler. I'd imagine it'd be cheaper to buy/rent a paint sprayer and a couple gallons of plastidip for a DIY job.
Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Plasti Dip makes a kit for about $250-$300 with a sprayer and everything you need pretty much. I might do the kit later on, because I'd rather cover the factory paint with dip, than I would get a cheap paint job. Both will probably last the same, but I won't ruin my quality factory paint with Plasti Dip, and if I don't like it I can just peel it off.

I have done this to several wheels and been pleased with the results.
Old 09-19-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

$327 plus shipping is what it starts at. I thought I edited my post with the link last night, but looks like I didn't. Here's a rundown of what the $327 buys you:
-DYC DipSprayer Base
-DYC DipSprayer Gun
-Quick-Connect Hose
-Spare parts (for the gun)
-Mixer (looks like it attaches to a drill)
-Dip Washer (special towel to wash dipped parts)
-Microfiber towel
-Blue Painter's tape
-Wooden Stirrer
-Cone Filter
-Dip Guard Gas Protector
-Stickers

http://www.dipyourcar.com/ProCarKit-3gal.html

Just added options to that kit to make it as expensive as possible, adding 5 gallons of the pearl top coat, wheel covers, protective spray, and yellow automotive masking tape. At most, you'd spend $823.05 for a kit.

edit: For me, shipping (to Las Vegas) would be $46.83, making the base kit come out to $373.83
Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
$327 plus shipping is what it starts at. I thought I edited my post with the link last night, but looks like I didn't. Here's a rundown of what the $327 buys you:
-DYC DipSprayer Base
-DYC DipSprayer Gun
-Quick-Connect Hose
-Spare parts (for the gun)
-Mixer (looks like it attaches to a drill)
-Dip Washer (special towel to wash dipped parts)
-Microfiber towel
-Blue Painter's tape
-Wooden Stirrer
-Cone Filter
-Dip Guard Gas Protector
-Stickers

http://www.dipyourcar.com/ProCarKit-3gal.html

Just added options to that kit to make it as expensive as possible, adding 5 gallons of the pearl top coat, wheel covers, protective spray, and yellow automotive masking tape. At most, you'd spend $823.05 for a kit.

edit: For me, shipping (to Las Vegas) would be $46.83, making the base kit come out to $373.83
Yeah I want to do white, which is about the cheapest color. I guess I was mistaken I think the white was around $350 not $250, my bad.

It seems if you already had a sprayer or got a cheap wagner sprayer at HD you might be able to save some $.
Old 09-19-2015
Administrator
Administrator

I didn't realize different colors were different prices. Just did a check of them and it seems the standard colors are $327. Pinks are currently on sale and those kits start at $288. Every other color starts at $360

Standard colors:
Black, white, anthracite grey, gunmetal grey, matte clear, flex blue, black and blue, and black cherry.
Old 09-20-2015
Registered!!

So plasti dip is about $60 a gallon, it claims that 2 gallons will do a small car or suv. So 2 gallons plus a $30 Wagner sprayer =$150 for the whole thing, that is what I want to try.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Plasti-Dip-Gallon.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/51-gph-...gun-60446.html

I predict some kind of thinner and a respirator might be a good idea too.

I really don't like the color green on my car, so I might do this soon if I get the time.
Old 09-20-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Read on one of the DYC forums that a dude bought the 3 gallon kit to do his evo. He said he had great coverage and didn't even need the 3rd can
Old 09-20-2015
Registered!!

Dave Brabant is an unknown quantity at this point

cool thanks for the info guys i will be either going black or powder blue not sure yet camo green seemed nice but i find it makes the car look junky at the same time
Old 09-21-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Dave Brabant
cool thanks for the info guys i will be either going black or powder blue not sure yet camo green seemed nice but i find it makes the car look junky at the same time
FYI , black is extremely hard to keep looking clean. Just saying, because I like black cars, but I don't like cleaning them all of the time.
Old 09-21-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I dipped my spoiler and emblems using a black plastidip rattle can I had laying around. One day of rain and it's all splotchy from dirt marks. Then again, the rest of my car is dirty af at the moment. lol