6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

CV Axle Replacement - '97 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bashea is on a distinguished road
CV Axle Replacement - '97 Civic DX

1997 Honda Civic DX - 165,000 miles
(and yes I did my forum search prior to posting)

After several split boots over the years, both sides, outers, and now an inner, and miles of driving unaware of them being split, I now need to replace the CV axles. No classic clicking sound, but rather a moan or growl when turning.

I've read every forum post I could find on replacing CV axles, but came out even more confused. Go reman. Don't go reman! Go new. Don't go new! O'Reilly CVs are crap. O'Reilly's CV worked fine for me! AutoZone CVs are crap. AutoZone CVs worked fine for me! Don't get new ones, they're Chinese-made crap. Get new ones!

I can't afford Honda OE or Raxles, and I don't know of any rebuild shops in my area (Pinole, California).

So it's going to have to be AutoZone, O'Reilly's, or online. A friend recommended buying local, in case I need to return them, but knowing how much work is involved, that's not comforting.

I watched a Cardone video describing how they manufacture their new CV axles, including an extra bellows on the boot to reduce stress, and a properly heat-treated center bar, and I was convinced. I would have to order them online from Rock Auto.

HOWEVER, what is the opinion of the Honda community on which CV axles to buy, and where from, given my financial limitations? I'll probably drive my Civic another year or two.

Also, I saw a video where a guy just dropped the wishbone arm with four bolts, instead of bashing the lower control arm to get the ball joint loose. Any opinions on this?.

Last edited by bashea; 09-14-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: CV Axle Replacement - '97 Civic DX

I doubt there are a lot of manufacturers who make aftermarket CV joints. They are all probably the same brand or close too. Your chances of getting one that is going to go bad in a year or two is more likely with aftermarket then OE but if you don't have the money for OE then you don't have much of a choice. The pain and cost of replacing it again is more then the price of buying one OEM joint and being done, IMO.