6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

bad knocking sound when clutch pedal in

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
violentpanda is an unknown quantity at this point
bad knocking sound when clutch pedal in

So i was driving down the street.. stopped to get smokes and i hop back in and my car has a horrible knocking noise only when i put pressure on the clutch pedal.... ive torn it all down... inspected my clutch components and cannot see any obvious damage or problems.... when i put it all back together with a new throwout bearing in it and fresh fluid... still knockin like the police.... please for the love of god help me....:/
Old 08-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: bad knocking sound when clutch pedal in

still knockin like the police....
Hide yo stash!

See if the knock is coming from the engine instead of the trans
Measure crankshaft end play (checking for thrust bearing wear)
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Ive looked at the rear end of the engine and felt for any looseness or anything obvious but everything seems tight.... lack of a dial indicator leaves me without exact measurements..... it only happens when the clutch has pressure on it.... never when driving,or in neutral or anytime the clutch is engaged... only once the pressure plate has pressure applied to it
Old 08-28-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to make the noise, or will it make noise if you just rest your foot on the pedal without pushing it down enough to disengage the clutch?
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Even just resting my foot on the pedal gives a light knock.... the more pressure i apply the louder it gets...
Old 08-28-2015

That should rule out a pilot bearing noise then.

Seems like you're probably down to something in the throwout mechanism, pressure plate/fingers, or crank thrust. Or something else oddball that wouldn't be typical.

Stethoscope it, figure out if noise comes from trans area or engine area?
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Ok... ill have to get a helper... ill give it a shot n see what i can come up with..... hopefully not anything block related..... really dont feel like pullin the engine out.... thanx ezone
Old 08-28-2015

Originally Posted by violentpanda
. hopefully not anything block related..... really dont feel like pullin the engine out.... thanx ezone
I sure wouldn't expect it, but right now nothing has been measured and ruled out.
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Finally got a whole new clutch set with flywheel.... narrowed it down to the clutch case when i got a real good listen in... so today its out with the old and in with the new! Wish me luck! I sure do hope this fixes my ailments