6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

SRS, CC, Horn Not Working - Already Replaced Cable Reel

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cukaracha will become famous soon enough
SRS, CC, Horn Not Working - Already Replaced Cable Reel

Hi all,

My SRS light stays on, and cruise control and horn don't work. I replaced the cable reel today, but nothing changed.

Also, the CC button on the dash (not steering wheel) doesn't light up when I press it (was like that before I replaced the cable reel). Also, when I switch the car on, the cruise control indicator in the instrument panel does not light up. I checked all the fuses and everything looks good.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by cukaracha; 07-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SRS, CC, Horn Not Working - Already Replaced Cable Reel

Originally Posted by cukaracha
Hi all,

My SRS light stays on, and cruise control and horn don't work. I replaced the cable reel today, but nothing changed.

Also, the CC button on the dash (not steering wheel) doesn't light up when I press it (was like that before I replaced the cable reel). Also, when I switch the car on, the cruise control indicator in the instrument panel does not light up. I checked all the fuses and everything looks good.

Any thoughts?
What's the SRS code?

The horn is a relatively simple system, I'd grab a wire diagram and a voltmeter and see why it doesn't work

Cruise could be lots of stuff, start at the main switch and make sure it's IN after you push it. The light bulb for the green light may just be burned out, they do that a lot.
All brake lights work? No LED conversion brake lights?
Old 07-02-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Check the brake lights, share a fuse w/horn.

Listen for click from under dash when attempting horn.
Old 07-03-2015
Registered!!

I double checked my work this morning and here are my findings:

The other end of the gray connector (horn and CC) wasn't connected (doh!!). But that was something the previous owner did.

Now the horn works fine. As for cruise control, the green indicator on the instrument panel lights up when I hit "Set" at desired speed.

Two issues:

1) SRS light stays on still. Previous owner had an aftermarket steering wheel without airbag, so I'm guessing that resetting the SRS will fix this? (Still trying to figure out how to do that).

2) Cruise Control does not hold speed. As mentioned earlier, the green indicator comes on as it should, but the speed just continues to drop. I did some A/C work previously, which involved moving the CC unit under the hood out of the way to access the receiver/drier. In doing so, I had to disconnect a rubber hose that attaches to the CC unit. Might be relevant information.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Just reset the SRS, and the SRS light turns off. The only problem remaining is the Cruise Control not maintaining speed.

Last edited by cukaracha; 07-03-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2015
Registered!!

UPDATE: Got the cruise control to work. Turns out one of the vacuum lines was disconnected (again, previous owner(s)' fault). Reconnected it and took her for a spin; cruise control works like a charm.

In summary, SRS light was fixed by resetting it. Horn and cruise control connector should be connected on both ends (live and learn....). Vacuum lines should all be connected on cruise control unit.

Thanks all!!
Old 06-10-2019
Registered!!

mkubancsek is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same series of issues that you are and I am considering a cable reel ("clock spring") replacement... how much work was that? Seems risky as I do not want to accidentally deploy the airbag. Any advice / guidance / link to instructions?
Old 06-10-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

need to disconnect the battery and wait 15 mins, then work on removing the airbag