6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

97 EK dx headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EK4zackrj is an unknown quantity at this point
97 EK dx headlight problem

I have a 97 Civic hatch with phillips HIDs. The guy I bought it from did a wire tuck him self. I changed out the headlight housings and the headlights worked fine and then the lights both just turned off by them self, I then just turned the switch off then back on and they worked again. Later on in the night it happened again but this time the switch trick didnt work. I took the ballasts and bulbs to get tested and they both work. I'm thinking its the wiring, so i took the bumper off to look at the tuck. It looks like the lights are connected to a resistor of some sort. Anybody have some experience with a problem like this. The parking lights work as well as the turn signals.
Old 06-29-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 97 EK dx headlight problem

Got a picture of that resistor thing?
Old 06-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Got a picture of that resistor thing?
Name:  20150630_102145_zpsxdobiyzc.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  476.6 KB
Here is a shot of the top of one of the resistors, the other one has no diagram on the top.
Name:  c36fa6d7-2a91-4cb8-86ef-a0f0cda011ab_zpsfuqmusfa.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  274.6 KB
The arrow is pointing at the the positive lead. The other red wire adjacent from the positive is hooked to the other resistor.

Last edited by EK4zackrj; 06-30-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm... that's actually a relay. It confused me for a sec because I haven't seen a setup like that before. I'm guessing the whitish wire either leads to your car's factory harness or to a ground on the chassis. The relay itself is REALLY cheap to replace, but before you do that you should check the connections and make sure they're still connected and not corroded. Also, your system should have a fuse on it somewhere near the positive terminal. Check that too.

Last edited by Poopies; 06-30-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Like Poopies said check your connections first they may be corroded. Since it was working correctly before it sounds like it is wired correctly just something came loose/corroded or the relay crapped out. Relays have mechanical arms in them that wear out or get stuck from corrosion so they could go bad.

The relay in the pic is a SPST relay, you can get them from an auto parts store. I like to put a diode across the coil but not technically needed for operation.
Old 07-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Hmm... that's actually a relay. It confused me for a sec because I haven't seen a setup like that before. I'm guessing the whitish wire either leads to your car's factory harness or to a ground on the chassis. The relay itself is REALLY cheap to replace, but before you do that you should check the connections and make sure they're still connected and not corroded. Also, your system should have a fuse on it somewhere near the positive terminal. Check that too.
Ok I appreciate the help fellas! and poopie by fuse you mean one of the fuses that is built into the wiring rather than put in the fuse box correct? I checked the fuse in the underdash and hood fuse boxes, all are fine
Old 07-01-2015
Super Moderator

Yeah, I meant an inline wiring fuse. Checking the other fuses definitely rules out some other problems, though!
Old 07-02-2015
Registered!!

Well I found the problem one of the relays capped out so now it's food to go thanks for all the info fellas!
Old 07-06-2015
Super Moderator

HTH, I'm glad you got it fixed!