6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

shift solenoid leak

Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point
shift solenoid leak

I started having problems with the shift solenoid on a 1999 civic lx I replaced with a known good unity shifted great until I found a huge puddle of tranny fluid in my carport. I looked all over and foind it wqw leaking towards the firewall luckily I never ran it low today I removed the unit and put the other gasket from the orginal solenoid and it's leaking towards the radiator. I am baffled I thought it's just an oring I did not use any honda bond
What am I doing wrong
Old 05-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: shift solenoid leak

Got pics?
I can't see what you are working with from here.

If it uses a paper gasket, check the solenoid body for flatness?

Don't reuse the paper gaskets, and overtightening the bolts can warp the body and squish the gasket.
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Ok sorry for a lack of pictures the original unit (A) started acting up and throwing a p1758

I went to a buddy's junk yard and got one (B) and put in drove the car to work 19 miles and found a puddle of tranny fluid
I topped of fluid and reseated the unit while in the parking lot (I love having a cool boss) top off was about 1\2 quart
Drove car home still small dribble I took out the unit to inspect the gasket and noticed the wires we're a little brittle and so was the gasket so I pulled gasket and screens off unit a and reinstalled yet another leak.

So since I have my wrecked other 99 just sitting in the yard I pulled the unit off there (c) and installed no leaks this time
Drove the car for about 5 miles stopped at a light and check engine light and code are back with d4 flashing.

I checked fluid and then limped it home
I went in this morning and put unit (b)
Now I can't clear the code and test

I am sorry I didn't snap any pictures I got pissed off after messing with it for 3 hours last night
Old 05-30-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can't clear the code?

Looks like the P1758 code is for Lockup solenoid "B" electrical problem, seems like it should not be a hydraulic or internal trans problem.

Fault timespan of one second or greater to set the code.
Solenoid resistance 12-25 ohms

If you need a guide to compare voltages or something, the A solenoid should operate with the same parameters and fault detection should be the same.

EDIT: I would not try to use any sealer, I'd say to order the right gaskets for it.
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Can't clear the code?

Looks like the P1758 code is for Lockup solenoid "B" electrical problem, seems like it should not be a hydraulic or internal trans problem.

Fault timespan of one second or greater to set the code.
Solenoid resistance 12-25 ohms

When I try to clear it it won't even clear it I am wondering if the wire is grounding itself (plastic coating is brittle a d cracking I put electrical tape on it but I wonder if it's broken behind my view which is grounding out.
I am also going to check my wiring but at this point I am tempted to buy a Brandy new one from majestic
Old 05-30-2015

More like the fault is happening right now ("hard fault") so even when you erase it it shows right away.

Diag info does not discern, this could be a short circuit or it could be an open circuit. The computer is not detecting the specified 12-25 ohms resistance in the solenoid circuit, and it's apparently happening right now if you can't erase the code.

Already checked resistance of the solenoid?

Think it's a wiring problem? Unplug the computer, set up ohm meter on the designated terminal at the computers harness,
Then prop the meter where you can see it and then wiggle wire harnesses looking for any sudden change in the reading? A meter with a beeper or alarm is even better for this.