6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

2000 EM1 A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cukaracha will become famous soon enough
2000 EM1 A/C Compressor

Hi guys,

I recently purchased
this A/C compressor from Amazon this A/C compressor from Amazon
that's supposed to fit my 2000 EM1.

As it turns out, the bolt spacing of the mounting top two mounting bolts is wrong (replacement compressor bolts were less spaced than the original). Does anyone know how to choose the correct A/C compressor for my EM1?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 EM1 A/C Compressor

Does anyone know how to choose the correct A/C compressor for my EM1?
Dealer parts catalog, look up by VIN.
As long as nobody did any swapping from some different car, it should be accurate.

EM1 tells me nothing so I can't look it up.
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. By "EM1" I mean I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si w/ B16 engine.

The specific part number for my A/C compressor is 38810-P9K-E01 (Denso). However, I'm not looking to purchase OEM, but a cheaper aftermarket alternative. Any ideas how to choose the correct compressor based on this information?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cukaracha
Any ideas how to choose the correct compressor based on this information?
Amazon doesn't even show your car at all LOL !!!
All Civics must be the same!!

Yet another reason I hate using aftermarket stuff most of the time. Internet just makes you wait longer to find out it's wrong.

Deal locally. Go to a real brick and mortar parts store that caters to professionals. (Not open on Sunday!)
Tell the people at the parts store what car you have, let them pick out the parts you need in their catalog.
Ask questions like "Will this be a Denso compressor?"
This (hopefully) absolves you of financial responsibility, puts the burden on the parts person.
Carry in your original part so you can match it up right on their counter and compare.
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

Actually, Amazon does show my car. Also, NOT all Civics are the same.

I'm still interested in aftermarket because of the price difference. I checked in with my local Autozone and Advance Auto, but neither have any compressors in stock that should fit my car. So I'll have to stick with the internet for now.

A different way to phrase my question is this: Are the bolt spacing of Denso and Sanden compressors the same?
Old 05-26-2015

Actually, Amazon does show my car.
Your Amazon link didn't seem to think so. 2000 Honda Civic, that's it. No choice for SI. Sanden compressor, no option for Denso.

I did not bother to look any further than your link.

Also, NOT all Civics are the same.
You apparently didn't see the ?

The "all cars have 4 wheels, therefore they are all the same" is managements way of thinking where I work. A one ton truck is the same as a Geo Metro because they both have 4 wheels.
I'm still interested in aftermarket because of the price difference. I checked in with my local Autozone and Advance Auto, but neither have any compressors in stock that should fit my car.
Most parts stores should be able to obtain parts shipments overnight.

So I'll have to stick with the internet for now.
You know the Honda part number for your compressor, google that number and see what comes up.

I'll do ya one better: The Honda part number for a Honda reman compressor is 06388-P2T-505RM. Google shop that one.

A different way to phrase my question is this: Are the bolt spacing of Denso and Sanden compressors the same?
Based on your thread, I'll say you already know the answer is yes.

My parts catalog shows the SI compressor and engine mounting bracket are not the same part numbers as what's used on the EX DX HF etc...... And if you compare the parts catalog pictures, the mounting bracket for the SI looks a bit different from the others.

What's wrong with your compressor anyway? Honda sells the clutch and pulley and coil separate from the compressor if that's all you need.
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

Sorry if I seemed terse. I read the "Lol" as a jeer.

You're very astute to point out that Amazon didn't specify "Si" in the vehicle fit. I was taking a gamble when I ordered it.

But anyway, I looked at the part number/spec of the compressor specific to my Si and it looks like I need a Denso compressor. I wanted to get aftermarket because it would've been the same price to get a brand new compressor + clutch as it would be to get just an OEM clutch kit (my compressor clutch isn't engaging).

Based on what I've researched, it looks like I can re-use the suction service valve and relief valve assembly from my old compressor. Is this accurate?
Old 05-26-2015

it looks like I can re-use the suction service valve and relief valve assembly from my old compressor. Is this accurate?
If the compressor comes with a flat plate bolted to the top then "Yes" you will have to swap it over--- as long as the parts were not having any problems.

Aftermarket compressors are a crapshoot.
Many don't even last as long as the warranty period.

EDIT: When I wrote the LOL lines on my lunch break, that was the first time I had actually clicked the amazon link and checked it out.
Old 05-26-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the info. Just to be sure, a compressor clutch not engaging (but holds pressure and not an electrical issue) doesn't relate to that assembly that bolts to the top correct?

I'm somewhat confused about the real differences between OEM and aftermarket A/C compressors.
This is the one I'm buying This is the one I'm buying
and it's Denso branded. How's that "different" from OEM?
Old 05-26-2015

Thanks for the info. Just to be sure, a compressor clutch not engaging (but holds pressure and not an electrical issue) doesn't relate to that assembly that bolts to the top correct?
I'm not sure what you are asking, but the plate on top only contains the hose fittings and relief valve in the casting AFAIK. Not much to go wrong there unless it's physically damaged or leaks.

I'm somewhat confused about the real differences between OEM and aftermarket A/C compressors. This is the one I'm buying and it's Denso branded. How's that "different" from OEM?
I didn't know it would be a Denso brand.

Hopefully it's genuine and of original quality, but in this day and age -- so much is made in China dirt cheap.
Too many manufacturers have gone this route, and ruined reputations of formerly great reliable high quality names.

I picked up a Black and Decker (trusted name, right?) hedge trimmer this spring....Small print says "Made in China". Crap. I'm thinking 3 years, tops.

Did you see this statement:

Note: Denso partners with other manufacturers to supply the parts your car was originally built with. This product is in a Denso package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent Denso supplier.

Suspicious me reads that as 'it could be made by Cheap Charlies Chinese Compressor Company and sold as Denso'...

One can only hope it will be ok.
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for all the help so far!

I'm working on my car this weekend so I'll report back how it goes.
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Fortunately, the second (Denso) compressor that I bought was an exact replacement (same part #). Charged up with R134a and clutch engages as it should. All is good now.

Thanks!!
Old 06-04-2015

^^Spammer has been removed and banninated^^

Fortunately, the second (Denso) compressor that I bought was an exact replacement (same part #).
Great!