6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Power Door Lock Issue

Old 10-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phillyphan is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Door Lock Issue

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I sold my 95 Civic EX last year and decided to purchase a 98 Civic LX for my daughter a couple of days ago. I'm trying to work out all of the bugs right now. One of them is the power door locks not working. The person I bought the vehicle from said the replaced the driver side actuator to address the problem, but that didn't fix it. I can lock and unlock the door with the key, but not the lock switch. I checked the continuity on the switch and that's fine. I checked for voltage and found voltage at all three pins. I was expecting to have 0v at the black wire since that was ground, but I had the same voltage there as I did at the other two wires. I added a picture of the wiring diagram I found online. Is it possible he hooked up the actuator wiring wrong causing voltage and ground to be swapped? Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civicdoorlockwiring.JPG
Views:	8127
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	85801  
Old 10-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power Door Lock Issue

on the switch

I was expecting to have 0v at the black wire since that was ground, but I had the same voltage there as I did at the other two wires.
That's wrong.
What you expected was correct.
The black wire on the switch is a ground.
You are missing that ground.
It is probably missing the same ground from the actuator and the control unit too.

Those cars like to break the wiring in the door jamb right up at the connector on the door.