6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

99 Civic High Idle Issue, need help please

Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the1djones is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic High Idle Issue, need help please

I have a 99 civic as well, the engine was swapped with a 96-00 civic, I believe an HX model but not sure. I cant really help you with your idle issue because I don't know much about idle issues as well.

I am new to this Forum and I'm new to honda's as well. I bought someone else's project car and it idles high. My mechanic believes its the throttle position sensor but hes not sure. He got the car to idle down but it still seems high. I dont know what a normal idle is for a 99 civic, its a b16y7 non-vtech 1.8L, if someone can tell me what a normal idle is that would be great. Mine sits at 1500 to 2000 (1500 if the TPS isnt plugged in).

The check engine light is on and I dont have a code reader to tell me and my mechanic didnt tell me the code but I plan to ask him.

I plan to try some things that I read online about idle issues tomorrow.
  • Im going to bleed the coolant.
  • Check the throttle cable to make sure it isnt too tight.
  • I plan to check for vacuum leaks.
  • I plan to check the fast idle valve to make sure its not letting to much air through.
I would rather not have to replace the TSP because on my car its riveted to the throttle plate/body. If I have to replace it, I can get a use throttle body for around 75 dollars but I'd rather not if I can. I was also wondering if the sensors on the throttle body have to be the same year and same car to work with the ECU? I can get a throttle body from a 96 for less that will fit but I was wondering if the ECU will work with the sensors?

So if anyone knows what else I can check or do to get the idle down that would be great.

It would be really great if someone could answer my question about the ECU and sensors in case I have to buy a throttle body.

I dont have a lot of money to put into this car, I'm now feeling that I paid more than I should have and I need the car running right within two months. My car wont pass its upcoming inspection so I need this one running. It hasn't been registered sense 2005 and my mechanic cant inspect it with the check engine light on and its in limp mode.

Please help me.