6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

exhaust problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demoncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
exhaust problem...

I just bout a 98 model and im new to hondas.. I have to fix some suspension problems on it and I noticed while I was working on it that some dumbass replaced a peice of the exhaust between the manifold and the muffler and left the o2 sensor hanging. How can I fix this without replacing the entire exhaust system? I think they remkved the catalytic converter. Is it absolutely needed for it to run right?
Old 06-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: exhaust problem...

Originally Posted by Demoncivic
Is it absolutely needed for it to run right?
Not 100% right because many do use the rear O2 for fuel control under certain conditions, but it is needed to pass emissions tests and keep that idiot light off.

If the CEL is always on, you would probably never know when a new problem happens unless the car quits completely.

/hugs a tree
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Ok... I was just wondering because the car idles up and down and I have already cleaned the iacv and throttle body with no change. So im guessing that might be the problem. Plus it is running real rich... I am eventually gonna install a new exhaust system but want it as close to right for the time being. Any info is appreciated. No emisssions tests where I live so thats not an issue just want it to run right and safely.
Old 06-17-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... I was just wondering because the car idles up and down and I have already cleaned the iacv and throttle body with no change.
Missing cat won't cause that.
Look for IAC and/or FICV if equipped for sticking, and for getting HOT with coolant right away. FICV needs to sense coolant temperature in order to regulate fast idle speed down at the right time.
And vacuum leaks.

Plus it is running real rich...
Why would you say this?

Codes?
Something else?
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

I have already cleaned iacv and what is the ficv and where is it... I am smelling raw fuel coming from the exhaust... I was thinking that the hanging o2 sensor is the cause for it running rich like that.
Old 06-18-2012

I am smelling raw fuel coming from the exhaust...
IF this is, in fact, true....you have much bigger problems.
Old 06-18-2012
Registered!!

Ok I dont know what I did but I started the car and revved it up to about 5000 rpms 3 times in a row and the rpms leveled out to 1000 and ran great for about 15 mins shut it off for a few hours, went back outside and started it and still ran like it was supposed to... So im guessing I had an air pocket in the iacv and when I revved the motor the water pump pushed out the air... So problem solve. But I am still gonna put the o2 sensor back inside the exhaust