6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Over heating problem! HELLPP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Branden_gt is an unknown quantity at this point
Over heating problem! HELLPP!!

So hello there everyone. Im new to this forum but here's what happened today. It was a really hot day in San Jose, Ca and I was driving for around 30 mins then there was traffic but since i got a new muffler, i started punching it sometimes and punched the gas couple of times in traffic. So in the parking lot the car was still and suddenly little bit of steam came out of the hood and my car was overheating. All the coolant was on the ground, then i let the car cool down and i poured water into the coolant tank and the radiator and i turned the car on but there was no problem it didnt head up or anything but I kept the RPM low till i got home(8Miles) So after an hr that the car was sitting in my garage i checked on the white coolant tank next to the radiator and from where I marked it, it had gone down like 1cm. Just wanna see if its gonna be my HG or what else can i check to see what happened to it.
Thank you.
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Over heating problem! HELLPP!!

Over-heating after a drive is a classic sign of a bad headgasket but, check for exhaust gases in the coolant first. Also, check the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor) and thermostat.
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Branden_gt is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I checked the coolant and water level and from what it leaked last night, that was it. It didn't leak anymore. But today i had the car running for 30mins then drove it for 30mins(its a Hot day 90F) But i noticed the fans didn't turn on or they just didn't reach that temp to turn on. Any ways to check if the fans are working??
Old 06-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Unplug the 2-pin connector for the fan and apply a jumper wire from battery positive to 1 pin and battery negative to 1 pin. It doesn't matter which pin you use as it will spin either way. As soon as you apply the second jumper wire the fan should come on.

If the fan works you need to jump (circumvent) the fan switch and ECT as well as test the fan relay to rule those out.