6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

98 Civic- Climate control switch broken?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dalegtr is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic- Climate control switch broken?

Today my 98 Civic DX stopped allowing me to switch between defroster, floorboard, middle and the combinations. It only blows heat thru middle setting (the vents on the dashboard). (Sorry, I forget which number button that is.) I poked around on forums and they have suggested checking fuses adn relays (at work, will do this when I get off), blower motor resistors or climate control panel.

1) If it's a fuse, would this work at all?

2) From what I've read, the heater blower resistor doesn't sound like the problem. The heat works fine and I'm pretty sure it operates at all speeds.

3) Guessing it is cheap switches on the climate control panel (around $235 for the part, of course!).

Opinions?

Also, not sure how to check the relays. I don't have any electronic testing equipment.

For what it's worth, I installed an Alpine power amp about a month ago. It is only 45 watts so I don't think I'm overcharging anything. However, I was working behind the stereo in the vicinity of the climate control switch.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by dalegtr; 02-14-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough
Re: 98 Civic- Climate control switch broken?

if your switch for defrost is on the lower portion of the bezel like most 98s then its a rod that attaches to the door mechanism that has fallen off, remove the middle lower part of the dash (a few philips head screws) and you can see exactly what I mean check those see if the rod has popped off one of the doors. They are mechanically operated and no fuse or relay controls it. If you have the electric ones then yes there are fuses for it and you will need to check them, get a test light they are like 4 bucks and it will tell you what fuse is blown simply by putting the point on each side of the fuse 1 side will light up 1 won't if its blown.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the prompt reply! I will check this out. I hope this is all it is. I don't feel like replacing the whole climate control unit. For what it's worth, I don't hear anything at all when I hit the different switches for routing the air flow.

Not quite sure what you mean by the switch for the defrost being on the lower portion of the bezel. The switch for defrost is right along with all the other settings and is the furthest right switch. Is this what you mean?
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

OK, just looked up a picture of this on ebay while searching for prices if I do end up needing the climate control switch. There are 5 buttons. For lack of better terminology, they go from left to right- chest, feet and chest, feet, feet and defroster and defroster. Only the first setting (chest) works. I will double check the blower settings 1-4 later, tho I believe they all work.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

on the 98 there were 2 styles they switched them mid year or something the first style which is like mine has the climate control switching from hot to cold and defrost to vents etc all along the bottom of the center console bezel they are levers that slide left to right, the other style is electric which has all the controls on the left side of the center console or bezel and these use electric solenoids to control the same flaps that the levers did just using electric solenoids to do so.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Sounds like mine is the latter. Here's a link to a pic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-98...item3364d4a8ce
Old 02-15-2011
Registered!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...91678284842205 this one looks like mine if yours is the same then at least we can work from there. Do the lights come on when you switch it from defrost to vent etc?
Old 02-15-2011
Registered!!

Yes, that is the same one, Newfiedan (minus the A/C but that's just a technicality). The lights all come on and the blower works in all 4 positions so it probably isn't the resistor.

Update on the problem: I found that all 5 work but the air ALWAYS comes out of the dashboard (at chest level). I figure that takes away from the defroster and floorboard settings, as some of the air is being routed to the dash vents. Not a major problem but there seems to be a problem with the switch, either a contact on the switch is bad/dirty or a wiring issue? I can live with it for now with warmer weather coming soon but want to work on this over the summer before next winter hits.

Last edited by dalegtr; 02-15-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2011
Registered!!

ok you are going to have to remove the lower panel below the radio, there are 2 philips head screws that you will see for that panel when you open the glove box and another 2 underneath that panel just look up at it from the cup holder area you will see them. Next remove the ones for the bottom of the steering column, there are 3 for the panel then another 2 for the center plastic piece, takes like 4 mins to remove them all once you know where they are. Then hit the buttons and look for the rod thats attached to the doors on the side of the center vent box, you should see something moving, see if the rod has let go of the door control arm, its a white plastic clip.
Old 02-15-2011
Registered!!

Fantastic! Thanks for the advice. I am familiar with taking apart the glove box and panels from installing my stereo. I hope this is all it is because it sounds fairly simple. If I have to remove the climate control unit to replace it then I see from researching online that it is much more involved than that. Wish me luck and thanks again!
Old 01-14-2016
Registered!!

marcusldaniels is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever figure out the problem with the climate control unit?
Old 05-09-2017
Registered!!

cmax25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seemingly, I had the same issue with the climate control switch on my 98 Honda Civic as well. Last fall, after a rather cool summer evening I turned the switch from Ac (The blue setting- to the red setting) Heat and later in the day when I returned the switch back to Ac, it was as if the switch became detached from the mechanism that closes the heating duct. As such, I have heat blowing out of the vehicle, which was not a problem during a cold Iowa winter, but now that the temperature is 60 plus, it starts to become an oven when driving around. Much like the last guy, I will try removing those screws to access the switch and see if the white plastic clip is around or if I can find one at the local Autozone. Any help you guys could provide would be much appreciated!
Old 05-09-2017
Registered!!

cmax25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marcus Daniels, you know what I am talking about with that ac climate control switch becoming detached from the vent duct? I got heat blowing out on the drivers side even though my air conditioner is running. I can feel the cold ac coming out of the passengers side vent.