6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

how much do you think it will cost?

Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProVic is an unknown quantity at this point
how much do you think it will cost?

I have a 97 honda civic ex. my problem is that it has a oil pan leak and valve cover leak. Together, they cost $20 for the gaskets. I would like your guys opinion on how much it will cost for the labor at a local mechanic? also, should i replace the bolts for the oil pan? I hate all the oil on my driveway. Its dripping like mad!!!!!! also, what is the best way to clean the oil that is caked on to the bottom of the engine. thanks
Old 08-11-2009
Registered!!

Fanatic4Christ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how much do you think it will cost?

Originally Posted by ProVic
I have a 97 honda civic ex. my problem is that it has a oil pan leak and valve cover leak. Together, they cost $20 for the gaskets. I would like your guys opinion on how much it will cost for the labor at a local mechanic? also, should i replace the bolts for the oil pan? I hate all the oil on my driveway. Its dripping like mad!!!!!! also, what is the best way to clean the oil that is caked on to the bottom of the engine. thanks
to get off the grease first i'd take a paper towel and whipe off all the excess and then i'd use a can of degreaser on it from your local auto part's store! as for the cost i coulden't say i've never had a mechanic do any kind of work for me... they might charge you a lot since it s like 20 bolts for the oil pan lol plus draining out all the oil first and all that
Old 08-12-2009
Registered!!

dnice78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the oil pan done at the dealer a while ago, and it was over $200! Do it yourself, the VC gasket is super easy, but IDK about the oil pan
Old 08-12-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Fanatic4Christ
to get off the grease first i'd take a paper towel and whipe off all the excess and then i'd use a can of degreaser on it from your local auto part's store! as for the cost i coulden't say i've never had a mechanic do any kind of work for me... they might charge you a lot since it s like 20 bolts for the oil pan lol plus draining out all the oil first and all that
okay i will get a degreaser.

Originally Posted by dnice78
I had the oil pan done at the dealer a while ago, and it was over $200! Do it yourself, the VC gasket is super easy, but IDK about the oil pan
how easy is the diy valve cover gasket?
Old 08-12-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Its all bolts. Just removing bolts cleaning old gasket and putting new gasket in. Its super easy. Go out and buy a Chiltons manual. Also change your PCV valve it is what probably is causing all of your leaky gaskets. And if you havent done so all other maintanence up to your milage.
Old 08-13-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Its all bolts. Just removing bolts cleaning old gasket and putting new gasket in. Its super easy. Go out and buy a Chiltons manual. Also change your PCV valve it is what probably is causing all of your leaky gaskets. And if you havent done so all other maintanence up to your milage.
do i have to put any sealant?
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yes you do. On both of the gaskets. You can just pick some stuff up from an auto store. Tell them you are doing a oil pan and valve cover gaket they will give you some stuff doesnt need to be anything special. And once again I highly reccomend you change your pcv valve or it will happen again.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

96CivicDx is an unknown quantity at this point

agreed its a really simple task no need to send it to a shop just get the things these ppl said above and spend some time with her it will make you appreciate whats really under your hood
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh! Oh! Oh!
While you have the valve cover off, you should paint it sexy black like I did mine!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	77129  
Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

Or have some real fun and polish it
Name:  DSC00078.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  145.7 KB
When I did my valve cover, the gasket came off real easy, so I didn't need sealant. If yours isn't stuck on when you remove the VC, I wouldn't put sealant on.
Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

You should always put a little bit of selant just to be on the safe side. It may not be needed, but its always better then doing the job twice. As per the oil pan you should definately put sealant.
Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

okay, thanks guys for the the info. I going to give this a try when i get time. A few more questions: where is the PCV valve located? Also, where do you think i am leaking.....i am leaking on the border of the motor and tranny...the place where the green VIN is located. would that be at the VC leak? It is leaking right under the distributor
Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

I definitely DO NOT recommend sealant except for the locations specified by the Honda Factory Service Manual. If it still leaks then you should do it over because that means something is wrong. The pan and valve cover were designed to seal with just gaskets and some sealant in the appropriate places and if done properly DO NOT leak. If you use sealant throughout, then you're just making a big mess for the next time you have to remove these parts and you also risk having some flake off internally and mess with your engine.
Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

If you look at my pic above, it is on the opposite end of where my short ram connects to the manifold. About 2 inches to the left of the end. The hose goes right above the D in Honda, between 2nd and 3rd injector.
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

I am not sure how the 97 VC are, but for the 7th gens the VC requires very little sealant in I think 4 flat points, which are the corners.
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ProVic
okay, thanks guys for the the info. I going to give this a try when i get time. A few more questions: where is the PCV valve located? Also, where do you think i am leaking.....i am leaking on the border of the motor and tranny...the place where the green VIN is located. would that be at the VC leak? It is leaking right under the distributor
In order to find the oil leak, you can do one or both things.

1) Clean the oil off with a power washer being careful not to wet your distributer or alternator, fuse box etc.

2) Use a UV dye additive in your oil and then one night just go under there with a black light and you should be able to find it relatively easy.

Good Luck.
Old 08-22-2009
Registered!!

if this help...

Name:  IMG_0235.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0234.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0233.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0232.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  167.5 KB

cleaned some oil....but still leaking

Name:  IMG_0231.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  177.8 KB

anyone can spot the problem....i think my valve gasket is fine...no leaks from anywhere.