6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

power window problem on 1997 ek

Old 11-27-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97EXSweetSusie is an unknown quantity at this point
power window problem on 1997 ek

ok i have a few problems goin on with my ek and i was hopeing someone out there could help. Ok first off for some reason the RH window wouldnt work so i thought it was the master switch goin bad so i replaced it and all was well and both windows worked then about a week and a half later the same thing happened where i could only role up and down the LH (drivers side). ANY IDEAS? (i thought maybe ampage of the RH window motor is fring the master switch or something idk?)

Second problem is that the LH window will not stay on track with all the bolts on there and tight it till pops off about half way any sugestions. (hasnt been in a acident so idk if maybe something is bend idk how?)

any help would be great thanks in Advanced Kyle

Old 12-17-2008
Registered!!

VTECxH22xCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: power window problem on 1997 ek

good question, i have the same problem with my Drivers window coming off track. and mine is a 1999 Ex
Old 12-23-2008
Registered!!

guachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: power window problem on 1997 ek

This is a known issue for this 6th generation civics, actually i had all of those simptoms that you are describing....
On my case i was able to fix it... basically i noticed that there are issues with the rails that guide the windows through the rubber seals, the seals need to be sprayed with graphite, go to a hardware store and get some of that, if you use oil or other kind of lubricants it could damage the seals, the sliicone spray on the brushes is also a good move this will reduce the friction between brushes and the glass window as well as the graphite will do with the glass and the rubbers...
Take your door apart, open it and take a look at the "scisor like" mechanism, put some grease on those...
and last but not least you will notice that the window has a specific curve, that rail must also have the curb, from time to time and door slams witht he window up that rail tends to straighten up, so you need to find which point of that rail is bent and try to slowly and smoothly move it to its original possition, on my case i used a piece of wood, i found the right spot where the rail would bent and located a specially sized piece of wood there that i glued in, i actually did that about a year ago and it has been working ever since, i even put in new tinted windows and it still works great... Give a shot!!