6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

$500 to replace o2 sensor???

Old 01-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jester458 is an unknown quantity at this point
$500 to replace o2 sensor???

so my friend took her 98 civic dx to the dealership cause she got a cel. they pulled the code and it was P0141 which is "O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)"

they said both of her o2 sensors need to be replaced, and it will cost a little over 500 dollars. ($210 and $185 for the 2 sensors, plus 2 hours of labor.) it sounds rediculous to me, but 2 questions come up.

do the o2 sensors even need to be replaced?
should it cost 500 bucks?

any help would be good, cause i know nothing about civics.
thanks a lot
Old 01-16-2007
Registered!!

hondacivicluv is an unknown quantity at this point
I would replace the one it called for...DO IT YOUR SELF... if it still calls a code then replace the other... I have a 97 civic ex and my O2 sensor (in the header) was like 95 dollars from advance auto parts... my other O2 (in the cat) has never called a code! $500 is way too much!!! the dealer just want your money so they will tell you to replace both of the sensors!!! you wont get as good gas mileage with the O2 not working...... or you can not worry about it in till its time to get your inspection sticker!!! thats what we are doing with our 98 accord!!!!

Hope this helped!!!!
Old 01-16-2007
Registered!!

if i were to replace the sensors myself...
are they easily accessible?
do i have to F* with the wiring (any splicing or whatever)?
and do i need to replace both of them even though the code (from my understanding) is only describing a problem in one of the sensors?
Old 01-17-2007
Registered!!

hondacivicluv is an unknown quantity at this point
i would just replace the one it calls for... theres one in the header and one is in the exhaust... just find out which one it needs... it sounds like the one in the exhaust... you can go to any advance auto parts store or auto zone (if you have one) and they can read the code and tell you... the O2 sensor comes with a plug on the end so theres no cutting the wires... unless you get a universal O2 sensor then you will have to cut the wires... but i would get the O2 sensor with the factory plug... the one in the header is very easy... if you have the factory manifold then i think you have to take the cover off (you can still see the wires) and the O2 sensor screws out... the one in the exhaust is alittle harder... its in the catalytic converter... i'm not sure if you will have take the bolts loose or just have someone pull on the exhaust not sure havent had to replace that one.....
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

alright, thanks a lot for the help. at least now i have some idea of what to expect, and where to start. Thanks again.
p.s. WRX's for life!
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

1civicpower is an unknown quantity at this point
they r so easy to do i would be crazy if i pay 500 even for both the only hard part at least for me was getting the old one out it felt like it was welded or something other than that pretty easy to do
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
I have your car and have replaced both of these sensors using a 19mm wrench, I believe (eh could be 17mm). Spray some liquid wrench on it and let it soak. When your done reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds or so.

From the Helms Factory Manual:
P0141 (65)
Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Sensor 2)

Probable Causes:
1 - Open or short in Secondary HO25 (Sensor2) heater circuit
2 - ECM/PCM

It's probably not the ECU (computer).

The secondary HO2 sensor is just below your cat in the lower front part of the engine. Here's a piture of where it is (part #9):

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98CivicEXExhaustManifold.jpg
Views:	269084
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	69353  
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

rk92yj is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: $500 to replace o2 sensor???

Im sorry I am a noobie to civics, if this a stupid question. I bought my daughter a 99 dx with an aftermamarket exhaust and the lower O2 sensor was reading code. I purchased the advance oem O2 sensor and it is extrremely short, maybe a foot. Is there an after market pigtail connector to purchase to marry the two together. If there is, can someone give some info. I did a search and did not find the answer.

Last edited by rk92yj; 04-29-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, they make O2 sensor extender cables
I got mine from this place:
http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...x.php?cPath=14
Click on Honda on the left. They come in 12", 24" and 36"

They plug right in, piece of cake, no splicing wire or any of that crap (which could screw up the voltage and cause the CEL to remain on, I am told)

There are no stupid questions, only stupid previous owners

hope this helps!

Last edited by Mavrick272; 04-29-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you'll need one though. If it's a DX the cat converter should be in the manifold like on my LX. The connection point should be really close...
Old 04-29-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

make sure you bought the right one. most cars have two sensors, one upstream closer to the engine (primary), and one downstream inside the cat converter (secondary). if you got the bosch oem type sensors from advance, they should plug right in exactly like the factory sensor and wiring.
Old 04-05-2010
Registered!!

805er is an unknown quantity at this point

2000 civic lx i have question. The o2 senser on the exaust manifol which wire is the signal return {COLOR} thanks.
Old 04-26-2010
Registered!!

Token21 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey i have a 97 honda civic ex coupe and is the A/F sensor the primary o2 sensor? i went to auto zone and it said i had an A/F senor 1 problem. any ideas? theres a probe for my intake i think and its not hooked up i tried hookn it to the intake but there isnt a hook up on the cold air intake
Old 04-26-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

a/f sensor is the primary yes. but i think your car uses a regular 02 sensor and not an a/f sensor. #5 is the primary sensor. the secondary is in the cat converter.

Old 05-18-2010
Registered!!

guju4you is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Honda civic Hybrid and I got kind of same problem as everybody in here. I used code reader and it saws two codes. One is P0139 - sensor circuit slow response and other one is P1130. Do I need to replace all oxyzen sensors or just one? Anybody has any diagram that shows how to access these sensors? or anything that will make my life easier?
Old 05-18-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

what year hybrid?
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

guju4you is an unknown quantity at this point

it's 2005 honda civic hybrid
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Should be able to reach the O2 sensors by jacking up the car. Looks like it should be about below the center console, in the center of the car.

Also, from what I can see, the sensors are sold as a (fairly pricey) kit. Majestic Honda has it for $337.28

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...PIPE+-+MUFFLER
Old 05-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Had to replace o2 sensor 35K ago. Figuring I'd try it to see if it works before I spent $100 I took it out and knocked off all the crap on it with the wire wheel on my bench grinder. Haven't had a problem since. cost=free

*NOTE: I have no idea if this is legal in your state so I have no
liability if you do it illegally.
Old 06-01-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

theres a tool that allow you to take out your o2 sensor on ur own,
they have it at any auto part store
i got mine for about 10 bucks
and bosch 02 sensor for 120
problem fix
after u change it just remove the neg terminal on ur battery for about 5 min so the ecu reset itself
then put ti back on and start your car.
no more cel light
this was the tool that i was talking about
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...roductId=47738

Last edited by asianboy781; 06-01-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2010
Registered!!

pprime1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to thank all of you that posted answers to the o2 sensor question.
Just bought a '95 ex, 173,xxx, with the engine light on. Seller said that the Honda dealership could not remove the sensor without possibly cracking the manifold. Found the part for $65.00 locally, and bought a Lisle open groove socket for $15. The OD of the socket would not let me get close enough to the nut, because of the manifold. Called around; O'Reilly not only had one with 3 widths, but I could rent it for free for a day. Picked it up at 5, back by 6: engine light off. They also rent code checkers by the day, just have to leave the purchase price as a deposit.
Don't know if this is Kosher, but I added a 2 foot pipe over my wrench handle, making sure not to slip off-axis on the nut. Didn't need it to put the new one one with it.
Next project: rear wheel fender rust.
Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

gonzal12 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for you info a learn a lot.
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

stevek is an unknown quantity at this point

Mechanic quoted me almost $400 for one sensor - and I am getting 38mpg still. After reading this, I think I will do it myself on 2000 HX.
Old 12-08-2010
Premium Member

i think hx may use different sensors than normal, maybe even 3 sensors.
Old 03-05-2012
Registered!!

smokinlbz06 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 97 ex coupe, cel came on the other day, read the code (p0141 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2). Light is off now, fuel mileage seems lower. Could this be a bad sensor, a sensor that needs to be cleaned, or a wiring issue?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2012
Premium Member

the light will come and go if the sensor is below operating threshold. just replace it before it comes on again. most sensors start to lose noticable efficiency after only 20k miles.
Old 05-10-2012
Registered!!

ekcoupe1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where can you purchase these 2 sensors for cheap?? I need to replace them as well!
Old 05-10-2012
Premium Member

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com i would get it directly thru honda dealer. there have been issues with other aftermarket parts having the wrong sensor inside. and the honda parts are not that much more. make sure you look up your exact vehicle because there could be different parts depending on the year/make/model/trim.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough

Wow i just read this now and I know its old but to the guy that just asked the quesiton where to get them, I got them off amazon and they were like 30 a piece. Cheap in my books and been running fine for 20K km now.
Old 03-26-2013
Registered!!

mbergthold is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm working on my daughter's '94 Civic DX coupe, shows CEL 43. Already replaced the fuel filter, seems to have plenty of pressure, so O2's are next. I see the primary O2 in the exhaust manifold, but where the heck is the "downstream" sensor? I've looked underneath, had the exhaust disconnected when I replaced the steering rack, didn't see any wires going to the cat. If it really does exist, a picture would help me a lot. Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $500 to replace o2 sensor???