6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

More horsepower and MPG?

Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
More horsepower and MPG?

After 50 years of safe driving, we had both of our Corolla's destroyed by uninsured drivers in December and have since replaced them with 98 Civics.

The one that we just bought Monday seems distinctively zippier than the other, which I suspect might be a Vtec engine, but I'm not yet clear on how to identify them.

But I was talking to a guy at the O'Reilly parts store, while buying plugs and an air filter, and he works on these engines. He said that he gets 500 HP out of one. I asked how that was possible and didn't care much for the answer, being I don't have much money, LIKE the gas mileage these get, and wouldn't like to see an engine destroyed. ( he mentioned larger injectors and nitrous, among a few other things )

But it got me to thinking. Is there a less expensive way to get a little more horsepower, while maintaining, or maybe even increasing the MPG's of these engines? ( besides keeping them tuned up, of course )
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: More horsepower and MPG?

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
But I was talking to a guy at the O'Reilly parts store, while buying plugs and an air filter, and he works on these engines. He said that he gets 500 HP out of one.

making up stories, and having little knowledge about cars is normal for most "parts store guys"
Old 04-16-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

A new intake/header/exhaust system might have some arguable results. They ARE fun though!
Old 04-16-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You can get 500HP out of one with a lot of money!

You can still maintain decent mpg while increasing hp but there there is a point where it will drop and continue to drop. Fuel efficient cars are not performance cars. A small turbo can be used to increase power and keep fuel efficiency decent. Combine that with engine management options to have an economy mode and power mode.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

No, I wasn't expecting or wanting 500HP, guys.

Doesn't sound like anything cost effective can be done, really.

I've heard that doing a larger exhaust header and dual larger diameter exhaust pipes can help power and MPG but when you consider the cost of those things, versus maybe a 2 MPG gain...probably never recoup the money.

Someone suggested cold air intake but I think those have been debunked, at least I've seen debunks of them, if true.
Old 04-16-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Generally more HP = less MPG. You probably have one with a D16y7 and the other with a D16y8 (vtec) engine. There is roughly about 20 hp more in the Y8.

You can do a lot of things to modify these cars but your HP gains are going to be marginal.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Generally more HP = less MPG. You probably have one with a D16y7 and the other with a D16y8 (vtec) engine. There is roughly about 20 hp more in the Y8.

You can do a lot of things to modify these cars but your HP gains are going to be marginal.
Thanks Stock. Is there some place that they have a tag, where I can tell for sure what engine I have? How can I identify each engine?
Old 04-16-2015

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Honda conveniently stamps all their engines in the same spot. The picture at the bottom of this thread...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...r-b16-b18.html

Maybe if you gave us some idea of an upgrade budget people could point you in the right direction to spend your money. There are a ton of super fun things you can do with a 6th gen.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Honda conveniently stamps all their engines in the same spot. The picture at the bottom of this thread...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...r-b16-b18.html

Maybe if you gave us some idea of an upgrade budget people could point you in the right direction to spend your money. There are a ton of super fun things you can do with a 6th gen.
GOOD question. It would depend on the return on investment - if we could get enough improvement in MPG and possibly power, to pay for it within say, 2 years? Off hand, under $1000?

You know, one thing I've been wondering about. We're in the Denver area at about 5400 feet. Does the oxygen sensor compensate for that? Because the tail pipes on all the cars here are black inside. I've been wondering if the oxygen sensor resistance ( or something ) could be tweaked a little, to lean out the mixture for the altitude and save even more gas? ( Unless it's already being done somehow. )

Last edited by MamaBear2015; 04-16-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added txt
Old 04-16-2015

Any idea what your current MPG is right now? I drive a '99 Coupe with a Y7 engine and regularly get 37 MPG (all highway) if I really try I can get as much as 42 MPG. Any idea if either of the car has already been modified? Got any pics to share with us?

Usually good mods for this car are suspension but they won't increase either power or mpg. MPG - tires what's on there now? A LRR tire in a stock size will improve mpg (good excuse to buy new rims too). I just did that to mine a couple weeks ago and tires/alloys were $1100.

Is one a Y7 and the other a Y8? If so the HP mods you would do to the Y7 would end up making it about as powerful as the Y8. Swapping the head from a Y8 onto a Y7 basically makes it a Y8 as well. As far as I know that's the biggest HP for a Y7...maybe a stage 1 cam as well. Probably wouldn't hurt your mpg but won't improve it either.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Someone also mentioned a "small turbo kit". Can that give a little more HP and more MPG simultaneously?

What would that cost to do?

Last edited by MamaBear2015; 04-16-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: add txt
Old 04-16-2015

Well just a quick google shows this for a variety of turbo kits....

http://www.turbokits.com/Honda/Civic/Turbo_Kits/

+ tuning that would be involved to make it run properly.

Unlikely a turbo will improve your mpg. Then there's also the speeding ticket fund that you'll have to have.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Any idea what your current MPG is right now?
On the one we've had since January, I'd say 32-36 MPG. We even spent 45 minutes last week, SITTING in a terrible traffic jam. Filled the tank and it STILL got 32 MPG in mixed city & hwy driving.

The one we just got Monday, that I suspect is a Vtec, I don't know yet.

I drive a '99 Coupe with a Y7 engine and regularly get 37 MPG (all highway) if I really try I can get as much as 42 MPG. Any idea if either of the car has already been modified?
Seriously doubt it. The one we got in January was traded by the first owner to a dealership, with 94,500 miles on it!

The one we just got Monday was sold by an owner with 130k miles.

Got any pics to share with us?
Not yet, but I can.

The one we just got Monday was checked out by a mechanic for us, and OK'd BUT when I went to change the air filter yesterday and held it up to the sun, it was BLACK. I cant figure how the engine ran! And the plugs were the recommended kind V-Power ZFR5F-11 but were down almost to the insulators.

Usually good mods for this car are suspension but they won't increase either power or mpg. MPG - tires what's on there now? A LRR tire in a stock size will improve mpg (good excuse to buy new rims too). I just did that to mine a couple weeks ago and tires/alloys were $1100.
Eeek! No can afford! The one in January came with cheap but new tires - crappy though. This one Monday has nearly bald tires and will have to be replaced before fall.

Is one a Y7 and the other a Y8?
Not sure yet, but I suspect that one is non-Vtec and one is Vtec.

If so the HP mods you would do to the Y7 would end up making it about as powerful as the Y8.
Not sure what mods and the COST.

Swapping the head from a Y8 onto a Y7 basically makes it a Y8 as well. As far as I know that's the biggest HP for a Y7...maybe a stage 1 cam as well. Probably wouldn't hurt your mpg but won't improve it either.
But like I said, we're low income ( not poverty but low ).
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Well just a quick google shows this for a variety of turbo kits....

http://www.turbokits.com/Honda/Civic/Turbo_Kits/

+ tuning that would be involved to make it run properly.

Unlikely a turbo will improve your mpg. Then there's also the speeding ticket fund that you'll have to have.
Argh! No, I'm a fairly traditional driver - more for MPG than speed. In fact I'd RATHER see MPG increases, if it doesn't sacrifice what pep these cars have now.
Old 04-16-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Power helps on keeping speed, torque helps to accelerate. Both are intertwined, but interlaced by rpm.
If you drive hwy a lot, aim for power improvements. If too much stop-and-go, aim for better torque at lower rpm. The least you step on the throttle, the better. Ah, if stop-and-go, removing weight do wonders. If long hwy, like an hour or more, more weight. Try to stop a moving semi? It won't, no matter what the engine is doing... just get it to speed fast and keep it there just don't ask it to stop :P

Tip: if downhill, leave the pedal shut. That will cut the fuel. As long as engine is fully heated and engine is above 1500 rpm, fuel is off. Neutral will use more fuel.

Above 98, you have obd II ports, get a scan gauge or similar for instant feedback on mileage - that helps you improve mpg techniques. (Don't hipermill on the left lane, thought, I might be the one asking for pass behind you

What was previously said is true. Up to a point, power will help improve mpg. Past the point that you need to inject more fuel to get the powah, it starts dropping down.
Of course, having a little more power and people try to stomp more... that's their downfalls.
Old 04-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the Denver area at about 5400 feet. Does the oxygen sensor compensate for that?
BARO sensor handles altitude compensation.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
BARO sensor handles altitude compensation.
So why is the tail pipe black, instead of gray?
Old 04-16-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So why is the tail pipe black, instead of gray?
Most end up black IMO. Soot is a product of combustion. I think you'll find it in almost any tailpipe eventually.

If you really want to know what's going on, you'd need a gas analyzer.
Don't you have to pass an emissions test in Colorado?
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Yep, and these cars are amazing on emissions.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

The one we think is the regular engine:

The one we think might be Vtec:

Keep in MIND that the lower one was done to pass emissions before we could transfer title, and before I changed the plugs and air filter yesterday, which I mentioned was totally black and opaque!

Last edited by MamaBear2015; 04-16-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: extra txt
Old 04-16-2015

The one we think is the regular engine:

The one we think might be Vtec:
Care to post the VIN of each car?
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Care to post the VIN of each car?
Would that compromise our privacy?

What value would it be?
Old 04-16-2015

Would that compromise our privacy?
Not sure how.
What value would it be?
Just to see what each car is by VIN breakdown. That would answer your VTEC questions, among other things.

PM the VIN info to me if you want.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Not sure how.

Just to see what each car is by VIN breakdown. That would answer your VTEC questions, among other things.

PM the VIN info to me if you want.
I just wasn't sure if the Vins are public record.

What part of the Vin indicates engine type?
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

The decoder says it's a manual transmission but it's automatic.

Last edited by ezone; 04-17-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: erased actual VIN
Old 04-16-2015

I just wasn't sure if the Vins are public record.
Google your own VINs?

What part of the Vin indicates engine type?
I enter the full VIN into the dealer parts catalog to see what exactly the car is, then check options from there.

And I can do a VIN inquiry to check for open recalls (USA only, and the report may be limited during non-business hours.)
Old 04-16-2015

The decoder says it's a manual transmission but it's automatic.

98 Civic
4 door
LX trim
KA emissions
MFG in Canada
4AT trans
Exterior color: NH583M
Interior: F-light gray

Not a VTEC engine

2 recallls, shows as both have been completed.

Last edited by ezone; 04-17-2015 at 12:03 PM.