6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Honda Values-Yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondanoob is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Values-Yay or nay

Hi there...

I am new to the Honda scene, and looking to pick up a daily driver in the 90s range. I want something that won't cost me a lot in repairs, and just as a cheap means of transportation in a smaller area. I have been scouring CL like a madman. I've found a few around 100-125k miles, but owners are either well above book+needing the timing belt repairs done or the like.

My question is, should I actually be going above book value on these? If so, is it recommended at least to have the basic "major repairs done?" (if you could chime in on what these would be, that would be helpful).

For instance, the book value of a 100k 95 civic ex is 3600 clean retail. Guy is a mechanic and has replaced timing belt/water pump, head gasket, cam seals, and upper timing covers. Also says 5k miles on the tires. Body is a little rough with rust starting on the rear wells and scratches/paint missing in a couple small spots. Says he can't go lower than $3000. Also, I checked autofax report, and it shows an accident back in 2008 with minor/slight damage reported. However, that was probably 30k miles ago, and was 6 yrs ago. Should I ask for even more off?

Anyone have advice on this car, as well as in general how you should relate to book values (as most of the time, the body isn't in great shape)? I worry about mechanics who buy cars and do fixes themselves, as I don't know where the parts came from if no receipt.

PS...can anyone run me a Carfax report? I'd be happy to pay via paypal for less than what Carfax charges...I already bought Autofax, but want to cross reference.