6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

P0505 on after warm up. Not iacv. TPS? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sprcivic214 is an unknown quantity at this point
P0505 on after warm up. Not iacv. TPS? Help

I have had an ongoing battle with my 98 civic ex mt stock D16Y8. P0505 came on after driving about month ago replaced iacv and cleaned out TB. Reset codes. P0505 keeps coming on after the car warms up and I come to a complete stop. After cel comes on I start seeing higher idle (not fluctuating) and the car shakes violently when accelerating from low rpms at upshifts.. 4 and 5 gear not as bad, still noticible though. Also after cel comes on if I am not moving and press accelerator engine sputters at low rpms if I gas more it seems normal. Is it possible that tps can throw a p0505... If it is the case honda tells me throttle body needs to be bought as a whole unit with tps already calibrated... 300 bucks my cost. looking for suggestions before I dump 300 in the can.
Old 04-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0505 on after warm up. Not iacv. TPS? Help

looking for suggestions before I dump 300 in the can.
Prove the TPS good or bad.
Test, don't guess.

Make sure there are no vacuum leaks.
Reset minimum air rate/base idle speed (if it has the big screw to do this) since you cleaned the throttle body and IAC, then do the idle relearn.

After cel comes on I start seeing higher idle (not fluctuating) and the car shakes violently when accelerating from low rpms
I'd want a lot more info now.
I'd want to see what it's doing myself, and maybe view some live engine operating data on a good scanner. High idle RPM is one thing, but running badly is quite another and doesn't normally happen when it's a simple idle speed problem. There might be something else going on.
Old 04-07-2014
Registered!!

Maybe this video will help explain my problem
Old 04-07-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That's "interesting".

Could be TPS related, but could be other things too.
I'd probably see what's going on in a good scanner datalist while this is happening, then make some determination from there.

If you don't have a scanner, I suggest you test and monitor the TPS voltage, see what's going on when the engine acts like this.
Voltage at closed throttle should be ~0.49v every time. Sweep test should be smooth and linear.

(TPS spec is "ABOUT .5v", but 99% of their cars read 0.49v exactly on the TPS, it's darn consistent.)
Old 04-09-2014
Registered!!

Fixed!!!!! Went to my uncles shop and used his scan tool. TPS was working perfect .49 to 4.5 without any lag or skipping. Checked iacv perfect idles at designated temps. Then started from the basics and remembered that my cruise stopped working right before the problem started. The vacuum hose was disconnected directly from the intake. Connected it back and BOOM idles back to 700 and no more jerking.
Old 04-09-2014

Originally Posted by ezone
Make sure there are no vacuum leaks.
Originally Posted by sprcivic214
and remembered that my cruise stopped working right before the problem started.
Note everything during diagnosis, no matter how insignificant it may seem at the time. This would have been handy to remember about a week ago, right?!?
LOL
The vacuum hose was disconnected directly from the intake.
The smoking gun!

Glad it's fixed, thanks for the update.