6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

What do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MortVader83 is an unknown quantity at this point
What do I have?

Hi, I'm new to the Honda scene. My whole life i have been an American Muscle nut. I have built some hot rods and dirt track race cars, so I know my way around an engine and car plus i have a well equiped shop. Thing is is that my fiance has always wanted a Honda. So i bought one yesterday for her. I know what i bought in car terms, but not in Honda terms lol. So here is the info. If someone could break it down as to what i really have then i can get started on modifying it some, as I'll be damned if I'm going to have a stock car in my driveway.

1996 Civic LX 4-Door
1.6L SOHC w/108k miles(I know, low right?!)
Automatic transaxle

Now as its for my girl I don't plan on going full bore racecar with it. This is mostly for my addiction of modifying cars and it'll give her something to park next to my Warlock at the car shows. Mods I'd like to do after I refresh the engine with new rings/bearings are cam, small turbo, exhaust, computer. The suspension will get new shocks/struts if i can find performance stuff at stock ride height(she doesn't want it lowered) and some wheels/tires of her liking. So any info you guys can give me would be great! Thank you.
Old 03-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do I have?

Welcome to the site!

Real Warlock? Pics please!
Old 03-09-2014
Registered!!

thefictiongrimm is an unknown quantity at this point

I would do quite a bit of research about your engine and its capabilities before throwing in a turbo. a 1.6 sohc wasnt made to push lot of power so even if you do end up turboing (which could run you in the ball park of 4-5000 for a good kit, and another 2 ish grand for intall) you'd have to run very low boost. Maximum 5 or 6 psi or you risk detonation
Old 03-09-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Welcome!

He did say small turbo which if you built your own kit would not run you 4-5k. You could also run low boost (3-5psi) on stock internals.

Detonation comes from poor engine management and not sizing your system properly.
Old 03-14-2014
Registered!!

cetcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you have? A performance un-friendly engine/trans combo

My suggestion would be to leave the engine alone, unless you have a good chunk of change to do a Dohc engine /manual transmission swap that you'll further modify (forced induction, natural aspiration, etc)

Keep the mods simple and aesthetic only

Good luck.