6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elmo86 is an unknown quantity at this point
need help

Got a 2000 civic no start condition. Car has spark good compression timing good i see rpm reading on scanner new distributor ECT reads good wen cold mil light works Cranks fine but keeps fouling out the plugs. What am i miss? Stumped plz help
Old 11-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need help

good compression timing good
I've never seen "good" listed as a spec, nor have I seen the word "good" on a gauge....

I expect to see 180 PSI or higher on a compression test. What was yours at?

Car has spark
How long of a lightning bolt will it throw?
timing good
Spec? Actual? Ignition timing? Camshaft timing?

Cranks fine but keeps fouling out the plugs. What am i miss?
Weak spark, weak compression, fouled plugs, excessive fuel, or bad fuel?
Old 11-20-2013
Registered!!

175 all cylinder dont knw the how far the spark jumps but it a strong and blue in color
Old 11-20-2013
Registered!!

Timing is is good tdc on crank and cam marks all line up
Old 11-20-2013
Registered!!

Every time i crank the engine it dont start and the plugs get fouled out. I dnt knw wat i could b missin. Spark fuel compression and time is all good
Old 11-20-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmo86
175 all cylinder dont knw the how far the spark jumps but it a strong and blue in color
I personally never cared about the color of a spark. Color has more to do with what is in the air than available voltage.

How far that spark can jump is what tells me how much voltage is available.
3/4 inch = about 30kV
1/2 inch = about 20kV <---You need about this much at the end of the plug wire.

Are you disabling fuel when you crank it?
Floor the gas pedal during cranking for "dechoke" mode.
Pull the mat out from under the gas pedal and hold that sucker to the floor before you turn the key. Don't let up until after it actually fires and runs out of the gas that's already in the cylinders.

Have you gotten the cylinders dried out, excess fuel removed? That alone can cause fresh plugs to get wet when you crank it.

A flooded engine usually seems to continually reflood itself. Gotta get it cleared of all the raw gas.

Liquid gasoline does not burn!
Old 11-20-2013
Registered!!

Thanx for the advice. Ill try tht. I did disable fuel removed the plugs and ccranked it over. And blew the cylinders wit a blow gun to dry it out best possible. I guess it might of not been enough. Ill also recheck spark and measure the gap. It should be fine cuz its a new distributor but aftermarket parts arent always good
Old 11-20-2013

Hey, a tablespoon of engine oil into each cylinder will help restore compression.

Compression drops when it floods.

Don't use too much oil though.
Place a towel over the plug holes and crank the engine over to blow out excess oil before you put the plugs back in.