6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Coolant Loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swag-o-Holic is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant Loss

I have a 98 Civic DX. I was under my hood yesterday checking Oil and other stuff. i check the coolant reservoir is moldy and it is almost bone dry, and brown. I do not think oil is leaking into my coolant but my coolant was very low and brown. I just started thinking it was maybe the heater core leaking but i have no idea where that is if it is leaking where would it be leaking too? No leaks under the car either.
Old 10-27-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coolant Loss

When was the last time you saw the reservoir full? If you have no idea how fast coolant is disappearing, you don't really have a basis for worry yet.

Brown coolant? When was the last time it was serviced?

Make sure the radiator is full, and fill the reservoir up to the full line.

Then see how long it takes for the coolant to disappear.

Could be normal but nobody ever fills up the reservoir during an oil change. They can and do use a little, some more than others, and some maybe a cup between oil changes. Doesn't take very long before the reservoir is empty, 2 or 3 oil changes sometimes.
Seems like I am always refilling reservoirs and rarely ever notice real leaks. And yes, I mean even on fairly new cars.

Some very slow leaks can dry up before the liquid ever hits the ground. You might notice colored crusty evidence if you could find the source.

Do a "cooling system pressure test" on it then look for leak evidence.
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

Well, it was full about a week ago. i took it for a little drive a few miles around the neighborhood and i figured out what's wrong it's leaking from a hose going to/form the radiator
It is coming from under this

And you can see it coming from the top of the radiator between the spaces or whatever they are

So what do i need to do? like do i need to replace the entire thing?
Old 10-27-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, the upper hose......Could be a few possibilities, you have to explore....

I see them with crusty buildup between the rubber hose and plastic fitting due to seepage over a long time, that would need pulled apart and cleaned off to make both parts smooth again, possibly replace the hose (because it gets pitted inside from the lumps of crust) and the clamp.

Or a cracked neck on the radiator.
Or just a clamp that isn't tight anymore.
Investigate it and see.

Clean and dry it real good and see if you can pinpoint the start of the leak.
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

It's not leaking from the hose it's leaking from those spaces. Sorry i think i said it was from the hose. It's kind of hard to see it because i cleaned all of the fluid up but you can see a little of it between the spaces but when i just popped the hood it was dripping and spewing out slowly.
Old 10-27-2012

Then it needs a radiator.