6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Dome light not working properly

Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TyBardy is an unknown quantity at this point
Dome light not working properly

My dome light does not come on when the doors are open, I cant seem to find a fuse for this... am I missing something? Why wont it come in when the doors open? It does work, just not when the doors open.
Old 04-10-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dome light not working properly

if it works, the fuse is fine. more than likely its a door trigger (or two) not working.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

it doesnt work with any of the four doors.
Old 04-10-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i meant if you are able to manually turn the lights on in the ON position, the fuse is fine because the bulbs are getting power. do any of the chimes work if the key is in the ignition or the lights are on and the driver door is open?
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

The chime does work... when the lights are on and I open the driver door I get the annoying chime.
Old 04-11-2012
Premium Member

so its not the door switches then. im not sure about the 6thgen wiring, but on the 01+ civic the dome lights are tied to the MCU (multiplex control unit) and its possible that went bad. not sure if you have one either. the MCU is designed so that if one part fails (like dome light circuit), the other systems will continue working. so it will be hard to trace the issue, but thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

ugadawg187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a aftermarket radio? If so they wont work
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

azkicker0027 is an unknown quantity at this point

also check the dome light assembly itself. i've seen the housing warp where the contacts are not supported properly.
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ugadawg187
Do you have a aftermarket radio? If so they wont work

Reallly??? Why??? Yes, I purchased the car and it already had an aftermarket stereo system installed. I want to replace it but I certainly don't want to replace it with an old factory unit.

Whats the deal with this and is there a way to fix it... and I suppose while I am on the subject of radio, is it also possible to get a remote access to my car without putting the factory radio back in as I understand that too is tied to the radio.

Why the hell did Honda tie everything into the radio?
Old 04-12-2012
Premium Member

thats only for 97-98 civics where removing the stock radio will kill the dome light and keyless entry system. there is a bypass harness that lets you mount the stock radio inside the dash and then connect it to a second aftermarket unit to keep keyless and dome light.
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

GD crazy honda's... where can I find one of these bypass harnesses? I will obviously need to get a stock radio as well... anything I should know here?
Old 04-12-2012
Premium Member

best buy should have everything you need. check ebay for a stock radio usually around $25 or so. it just has to be working, doesnt need to be pretty looking. or if dome and keyless is not that important, dont worry about it.
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

will a 99 head unit work?
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Found a 99-00 am/fm only head unit on ebay for $17... I have a 98 civic... will this work?

number is 39100-S10-A210-M1
Old 04-13-2012
Premium Member

no it must be a 97-98 because only those decks have the dome and keyless circuits built into them. even if the 99-00 plugs in (it prolly doesnt), the dome and keyless still would not work.
Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

There are 2 power lines going to the dome light fixture. One is 12V, for the "ON" position. the other is a bit less voltage, and is used for when a door opens. Then there is case ground to complete the circuit.
Old 04-24-2018
Registered!!

Naevulle is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is old but I just purchased a 99 civic to play with. The dome light and buzzers do not work when the drivers door is opened. The dome light does when the passenger door is opened. The drivers switch has been replaced (twice just in case bad switch). Any ideas?
Old 04-24-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Need to check the wiring on the driver's side, something might be grounded out