6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Big Transmission Cooler for 97' Honda Civic EX Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluemc is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Big Transmission Cooler for 97' Honda Civic EX Auto

I am looking at doing whatever it takes to keep my Automatic Transmission from failing again and having to rebuild it.

I have a 97 Honda Civic EX with AT.

I currently just bought a B&M A/T Super Cooler 70264 it has 14,400 BTU.
11" x 6" x 1-1/2"

I took off my front bumper so I can have better view and placement of where I want to put my cooler. I noticed, I have much more room to have a bigger cooler.

I've had my auto transmission fail on me twice so far. 1st time, I got a new auto tranny. 2nd time, I rebuilt it as I think it would be more cost effective as well as I wouldn't have as much to worry about.

Since I have a new AT, I want to do as much preventative maintenance as possible so this car will hold up much longer. I'm currently at 151k miles and would definitely like to bring this car to 300k miles if possible.

PLAN: I'm installing a Magnefine filter and a transmission cooler. I will be installing it Transmission > Magnefine filter > Transmission Cooler > Transmission. Cooler will also be placed in the front so it receives 100% of the cooling.

My question is should I get the 14,400 BTU B&M 70264 or I am also interested in a bigger one as I do have the space. A 29,200 BTU B&M 70274 Cooler which is 11" x 11" x 1-1/2".

A few other questions with this bigger B&M Cooler which I couldn't find on the website is:

Does the 70274 have the 'Low Pressure Drop' feature?

What do you think? Any help is greatly appreciated. I plan on installing it soon.

Last edited by bluemc; 02-12-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Big Transmission Cooler for 97' Honda Civic EX Auto

Before doing all this, I'd keep track of what temperature you transmission reaches with a remote digital thermometer with thermal adhesive or something to stick it to the transmission, it might not get that hot..Or maybe somehow measure the liquid itself remotely. I have heard that the 7th gen auto transmissions are weak, but 6th gen are solid. At least that's what I've heard.
The Magnefine filter sounds interesting, how much would it cost and replacement filter media?
Old 02-18-2012
Registered!!

bluemc is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the manual trans is good for the car. But I heard the auto trans sucks ***. I ended up sticking w/ the one I already have for the transmission cooler.

I'm using the 14,400 BTU B&M 70264. Fits perfectly fine, mounted in front of my new radiator (old radiator cracked). I didn't get the bigger one because I don't think they have a Low Pressure Drop feature.

The Magnefine Filter, I think will be great. I purchased one on eBay for like $15, tried looking locally didn't find anything. I got the 3/8ths for my civic.

I installed it before my transmission cooler since my cooler was brand new. Could go either before or after I guess. It has a magnet in it, that's the sole purpose why I got the magnefine. So it will help with taking out the metal shavings. I was told to replace it every 15k miles. It may be able to last a little longer. Replacement should be easy and well worth it to keep my transmission healthy for long-term use.
Old 03-01-2012
Registered!!

IwantHX is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, I keep hearing more and more failure stories about Civic auto trannies, but I dont understand it. My 95 auto trans has over 300,000 miles on it allready. I bought my car 100% stock from some older lady with like 180,000 miles on it. All I did was change the atf about ever 15k miles. After my radiator cracked, I had to purchase a new radiator and decided to add an external atf cooler and 3/8" inline atf filter just for the hell of it.

Since your auto trans was recently rebuilt, I would definately stay on top of the maintenance and do anything you can to keep it going. The atf cooler and inline filter are GREAT ideas, as long as you run good atf (I use Mobil 1 thats ''atfz1 approved'' and never had the slightest problem), and change the atf and external filter every 15k or so.

I also beat the snot out of my car with my 300,000 mile auto trans
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

robarno is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm in the UK. First time user of this site. Hoping that someone can give me some advice.
My aged mother runs a 97 Civic 1.6 Lsi.Auto. The rad sprang a leak so I pickd up a replacement at the local breakers. Not realising that the auto version has a transmission cooler combined they gave me a manual with no cooler.
Being the weekend I couldn't go back, so fitted it anyway and just put a loop in the hose. I suspect the breakers won't have the auto rad because auto trasmission is not so popular in the Uk. How important is the cooler? Can we get away without it? Bearing in mind my old dear is in her 80's, just uses the car to pop down the shops and rarely goes over 40 mph!
Thanks guys

Last edited by robarno; 01-20-2013 at 03:21 AM.