6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Owning a 2000 Civic Si risky?

Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carlos209 is an unknown quantity at this point
Owning a 2000 Civic Si risky?

I'm 16 and have been saving up some money to buy a 2000 civic Si. This would seriously be my dream car(with a budget in mind of course). The only thing I'm afraid of is it getting stolen. I live in Modesto,CA. Just google it, you'll find that it is and has been in the top 5 cities for car theft in America. While I do live in the nicer part of town, you just never know. For keeping it parked out in the driveway, is an alarm not enough for protecting against theft? What other inexpensive methods would you guys recommend to keep it safe? Thanks, and I'm new to the forum fyi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzC8IfECSc
Old 01-24-2012
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Owning a 2000 Civic Si risky?

Civics are jacked left and right,especially the particular one you have in mind.If you park in the driveway with an alarm,you should be safe.It's when you're parked on the street or out somewhere is where you'd get jacked.My cousin owned a 96 EK,somebody smashed all his windows,but wasn't able to steal the car.If you're smart,don't leave anything in the Civic if you decide on buying it.Most of the time the POS jackers aren't looking to steal the car,it's what you might have in the car.
Old 01-24-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I live in norcal too,
I love the EM1's but I really cant move myself to get one, mainly because of the high theft rate of them.

My buddy just had his civic stolen 2 or 3 weeks ago.

You'd lower some risk by shaving all the emblems and not flaunting you have an Si
Also, a 2 way alarm system would do good.

They are sexy cars, but way too hot
Old 01-24-2012

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Does that lock for the steering wheel actually work?You know the red one that looks like a bar.I never owned one,don't even know what's it's actual purpose.I wouldn't use it to lock my steering wheel anyone,rather beat the **** out of the guy with it.
Old 01-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pros use tow trucks to steal your car. Amateurs jack you and could work for the pros. Hood rats break in lookin for your shizzle.

How to keep your car from getting broke into:
Beat every panel with a sledge hammer.
Knock out one rear corner window. Tape cardboard over it.
Chop the muffler off at the pipe but leave it dragging on the ground.
Ram one rear corner with a '74 Chrysler Imperial then bungee the bent trunk lid down.
Nobody will give it a second glance.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It works here in my hood.
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Pros use tow trucks to steal your car. Amateurs jack you and could work for the pros. Hood rats break in lookin for your shizzle.

How to keep your car from getting broke into:
Beat every panel with a sledge hammer.
Knock out one rear corner window. Tape cardboard over it.
Chop the muffler off at the pipe but leave it dragging on the ground.
Ram one rear corner with a '74 Chrysler Imperial then bungee the bent trunk lid down.
Nobody will give it a second glance.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It works here in my hood.
Or carry a big gun
Old 01-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Or carry a big gun
Don't you DARE leave it in the car!
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

So would an alarm be enough? How's viper? My dad has it on his truck and he likes it...
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

Also, how would the car hold up as a commuter? driving 40 minutes on the freeway and back everyday?
Old 01-25-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by carlos209
I'm 16 and have been saving up some money to buy a 2000 civic Si. ..... What other inexpensive methods would you guys recommend to keep it safe? Thanks, and I'm new to the forum fyi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzC8IfECSc
Hey there! welcome to the forums.

Nice first car, better then what I drive. The 1999/2000 si has been the most stolen car in Canada the last 5 years running as well. Mainly because they are an easy car to steal relatively speaking. If you do decide to get it an alarm will help, don't keep anything of value visible inside, don't mod it out and if possible peel the si badge off it.

Bottom line if somebody wants your car bad enough they are going to get it. Insure it properly and don't waste your life worrying about it.

The other issue you're going to have is the insurance will probably be breathtaking for a new driver in a highly stolen car.

Enjoy the forums, there's lots to learn here.
Old 01-25-2012

Depends how the previous owner kept it.MPG is around 24MPG.It's a Honda,if the owner kept it right,you're fine.
Old 01-25-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

alarms don't do ****. well not here. sooo many sound alike and nobody actually checks to see what car it is. if it's parked by your house that's one thing, but if you park some place where you can't hear your alarm like if you go watch a movie, then your car's gone.

-get The Club $29.99 Canadian Tire probabley cheaper in US
-install a kill switch, wire plus switch probabley $30

by the time they get through the club if they have a saw and by the time they find your kill switch. they'll probabley get scared and find another civic.

if they really want your car for parts then they'll get it on a flatbead truck... but come on it's a civic, for all that work why not grab a skyline or something more valuable.
Old 01-25-2012

^ Someone explain how this thing works?
Old 01-25-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

If you look into it statistically it does work. Thieves just can't be bothered for a $2000 car and move on to another car. I wouldn't use it for my Pagani Zonda RS but fairly effective for a 12 year old civic.
Old 01-25-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget kill switches

Ravelco + 2Way Alarm
http://www.ravelco.com/

But thing is...would you spend ~$700+ on a 12 year old car less than 10k?
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

HateOnEveryone is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude if they want it theyll take it thats I have an em2 insted of an eg hatch lol clubs dont work people just take off the steering wheel. Utube civic thefts all u need is a shaved off honda key u see them geting robed in broad daylight. If ur heart is set on it which I dont blame u for. Get an alarm a boot and a pedal jack... I have a pedal jack and a killswitch on mine. Pedal jack gives me most peacr of mind because without depressing the clutch they obviously cant drive the car... Dont waste ur money on steering wheel club aside from cuting wheel ppl just take steering wheels off and drive with a vice grip.. Go with the boot that covers the lug nuts and a pedal jack and u shud be ok if u dont flaunt ur car
Old 01-25-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty careful about where I go in my car. There's a lady around here with a mint red one and parks it out in the street with no issues. I guess it isn't so bad around here believe it or not. I guess it depends on location. You don't hear much about cars in general getting stolen around here. Cali you gotta be careful though. I wouldn't even bother personally. I'd factor in insurance and the fact that the car takes premium gas as well. Not trying to scare you away from the car, just giving you the facts.
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

Ahh forgot, is this car considered a sports car to the insurance?

Looked up that pedal jack, and that sh*t looks good. An alarm and that would be good enough I guess. The car would be parked out right in front/below of my window(rooms on 2nd story with window right above driveway). And also taking off the Si badge is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN lol. Plus I'm not gonna have any crazy add-ons or mods, too busy saving up money for college too.

Mpg 24mpg? I thought it was around 30?

Sucks, so many negatives to owning this car, yet I still want it bad.
Old 01-25-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

On a good week in the summer I can manage 35mpg combined. Shifting around 3 grand for each gear. I also don't use my brakes very much going downhill(engine braking ftw). Keep the tires properly inflated. I took my Si badge off. Kenny knows that story. I don't go around ricing, but it got me a lot of negative attention. Took it off and I regretted it. Lol. It isn't listed as a sports car on my insurance, but I think it depends on the company. You'd have to look around to be sure. You're the one who is going to be buying the car in the end, so we really can't control what you're going to do with the money.
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

Well, I still want it.

Do you 6th gen Si owners regret purchasing it? At all? What don't you like about it? What would you have like to known before you bought it?
Old 01-25-2012
Trance Addict

I love mine. I just love 6th gen Civics in general. I found a few other Vics for around the same price, so I guess I was in the right place at the right time. I don't regret it at all. It handles well. Good gas mileage and easy to maintain. Like I said, those F&F wannabes see that badge and they try and race you. I had a Corolla before this and I was searching for a new car for a year before I found mine.
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

Yeah, I'm getting one for sure. Just gonna wait until I get one with under ~120k with a clean title. Not sure what color yet, I guess any if the 3 looks sick...see how long that takes

So an alarm and a pedal jack. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-25-2012

EBP is basically the Si giveaway even after you debadge.Just saying
Old 01-25-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Don't get me wrong, I love the EM1 as well...

It just isnt worth the risk to drive it around here for me.
Old 01-25-2012

Just depends where you live.If I owned a Si,I'd probably get keyed but not jacked.Haters driving their Lan Evo's and their RSX's.
Old 01-26-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carlos209
Ahh forgot, is this car considered a sports car to the insurance?

Looked up that pedal jack, and that sh*t looks good. An alarm and that would be good enough I guess. The car would be parked out right in front/below of my window(rooms on 2nd story with window right above driveway). And also taking off the Si badge is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN lol. Plus I'm not gonna have any crazy add-ons or mods, too busy saving up money for college too.

Mpg 24mpg? I thought it was around 30?

Sucks, so many negatives to owning this car, yet I still want it bad.

what's funny is that my em2 is a sports car for insurence, lol. 95whp sports car that weighs 2800 pounds built in 2002??? i think not, maybe if this was the 60's, lol.
Old 01-26-2012
Trance Addict

The Sunfire is considered a sports car as well. I have no idea why. It's a POS with nothing to offer. As for color, I'd love the EBP, but it is the dead giveaway. Only time I regret the black is in the summer. Talk about sweating your fellas off.
Old 01-26-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Anything with a 2dr body is considered a sports car
Old 01-26-2012
Registered!!

HateOnEveryone is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Owning a 2000 Civic Si risky?

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Anything with a 2dr body is considered a sports car
Even smart cars?
Old 01-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HateOnEveryone
Even smart cars?
haha, that's a good question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owning a 2000 Civic Si risky?