6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Bring a neglected Civic back to life.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demianwulf is an unknown quantity at this point
Bring a neglected Civic back to life.

My father took my car years ago and didn't drive it at all for a few years. Now, I want to give it to my brother, but I want to make sure it is in good shape first. My question is what do I need to do for a car that has been sitting, neglected for 3 years to get it running as trouble free as possible? Seems to start up just fine, but I didn't let it run in fear of damaging something in case it needs oil or some other kind of fluid replacement. I'm good with my hands computers and wood working, but automotive speaking I'm green, but willing to learn, so lay it on me.
Old 10-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Bring a neglected Civic back to life.

The battery will be completely dead, that's a given.

On a car that's been sitting for an extended period of time you also want to drain the gas tank; change all the fluids including ps, brake, coolant and oil; replace the spark plugs; replace the air filters. Basically catch up on all the maintenance. I would seriously consider doing a complete engine flush as well.

All simple jobs that a basic set of hand tools can manage.
Old 10-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demianwulf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bring a neglected Civic back to life.

Thanks for the advice...Know any good sites with pictures of how to do it all? Or should I go get a Haynes manual or something like it? Otherwise, I'll do the google search thing and youtube search for more info.