Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 6th Gen
Register Forgot Password?

6th Gen In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic. Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2011   #1
Registered!!

Points: 164, Level: 3 Points: 164, Level: 3 Points: 164, Level: 3
Level up: 28%, 36 Points needed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 6.5%
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%
fernando97honda is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Honda Civic HX -Check engine light (need advice on 4 Codes)

I have a 97 Honda Civic HX with the check engine light on. I need to clear it by this friday for a smog check. The codes I got are P0303, P0304, P1300, P1399. Occasionaly when driving the check engine light blinks but clears back to a sold light when I release and press the gas pedal. The car drives perfectly with the check engine light on and the occasional check engine light blinking. The car accelorates fine, it basicly run very well but I don't understand why I can't clear the check engine light when I've already changes the spark plug wires, spark plugs and the cap and rotor. Can you help and tell me what I need repair to clear the check engine light?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando Gamboa

Last edited by fernando97honda; 03-23-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: need daily email notification.
fernando97honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #2
Registered!!

Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43
Level up: 90%, 21 Points needed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 3.0%
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
asianboy781 is a jewel in the rough asianboy781 is a jewel in the rough asianboy781 is a jewel in the rough asianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to asianboy781
Re: 97 Honda Civic HX -Check engine light (need advice on 4 Codes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando97honda View Post
I have a 97 Honda Civic HX with the check engine light on. I need to clear it by this friday for a smog check. The codes I got are P0303, P0304, P1300, P1399. Occasionaly when driving the check engine light blinks but clears back to a sold light when I release and press the gas pedal. The car drives perfectly with the check engine light on and the occasional check engine light blinking. The car accelorates fine, it basicly run very well but I don't understand why I can't clear the check engine light when I've already changes the spark plug wires, spark plugs and the cap and rotor. Can you help and tell me what I need repair to clear the check engine light?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando Gamboa
reset the codes using a portable obd2 scanner tool if not avail
take out battery for about 5 min
neg terminal
asianboy781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #3
Registered!!

Points: 17,778, Level: 84 Points: 17,778, Level: 84 Points: 17,778, Level: 84
Level up: 86%, 72 Points needed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 58.6%
Activity: 58.6% Activity: 58.6% Activity: 58.6%
lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of lazlong has much to be proud of

First, you may not pass on Friday even if you fix it today. You usually need at least 100 miles in all conditions to reset all the readiness codes.

For P1399 Honda has reported clogged EGR passages and valve clearance issues as being the cause(s) of this code.

Take the EGR off and clean it and the engine passages you can reach with carb cleaner. Then reset the ECU thru a scan tool or removing the neg battery cable. Drive it around a little bit then check for codes again. If no OBD codes- drive it a while to set readiness codes and then get it inspected. If it still has OBD codes- check valve clearance.
lazlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #4
Trance Addict

Points: 6,002, Level: 50 Points: 6,002, Level: 50 Points: 6,002, Level: 50
Level up: 26%, 148 Points needed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 1.7%
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%
MelJ is a glorious beacon of light MelJ is a glorious beacon of light MelJ is a glorious beacon of light MelJ is a glorious beacon of light MelJ is a glorious beacon of light
MelJ87
Send a message via AIM to MelJ

Yeah. I'd try and actually take care of the problem, because like lazlong said, they're still stored in there for a while until the computer runs the checks over and over again to make sure the tests are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlong
*Before any of ya say "WTF does VTEC have to do with a hard start?" I'll tell ya I got it straight from the manual and have no idea.
6th Gen Manual
Please PM me for broken links
MelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
96 , 97 , 98 , check , civic , codes , egine , engine , honda , hx , light , located , plug , problems , spark , switch