6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Creative ideas to quiet noisy transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scolecite is an unknown quantity at this point
Creative ideas to quiet noisy transmission?

I have a whining transmission thats annoying and by all accounts seems to get worse with age. Custom transmission shop said it was the differential.

I was thinking of creative ways to maybe reflect some of this transmission sound or engine sound in the opposite direction, or maybe absorb it. Like a thin metal sound "catch", lined with foam placed behind the transmission?

There is a magic button I found, it says radio Volume + and that of course works.

I can't pull apart the dash to the firewall (cause Im a newb), but I saw this:

http://www.b-quiet.com/hliner.html

It looks good for what I want and you can put it on the hood and in engine bay. Has anyone here tried this? More Importantly does it work enough to justify buying it?

I was also thinking of putting that Jute padding up behind my pedals as there is alot of open space there. Im just not sure if it would do anything productive.

Otherwise if you have any advice AT ALL on how to quiet a noisy transmission please chime in. I have just done a full drain and fill 3x flush so my fluid is good.

Thanks!

Last edited by scolecite; 03-22-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Creative ideas to quiet noisy transmission?

gotta be careful what you put under the hood. i had the tar based pads and they fell off after a while due to the heat and cold cycles. alot of oem cars like the acura rsx (similar hood shape, hint) use a heat and noise pad clipped on.
Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Creative ideas to quiet noisy transmission?

i got the whirrring noise through 1-4 gear on my 00 si the only gear that doesnt make any noise is 5th??? i dont think its enough to justify for any sound insulation as anything under the hood get acoustic in the engine bay and make it sound louder when you open the hood it isnt as loud as closing the hood, sound bouncing off everywhere in the engine bay and vibrate its way through the fire wall and to ur wonderful ears, this is why ima tear my tranny apart this summer, the sound is driving me nuts