6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Is my '98 LX a CVT or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Is my '98 LX a CVT or not?

Now, I'm really confused. I thought all Honda autos were CVT.

I came upon this and I don't know which one I'm supposed to use:

CVT fluid was introduced around 1996 for the Civic HX with the Continuously Variable Transmission. In late 2000, Honda's newsletter, Service News, announced that Honda CVT was no longer available, and ATF-Z1 should be used in CVT transmissions instead. Five years later, we noticed the 2006 Civic dipstick had, "Use only CVT F" printed on it. We called our dealer and found CVT fluid was back. Another $300 in inventory and 14 cubic feet of storage space, hooray. The back of the bottle states CVT fluid is recommended for all Hondas with CVT transmissions (Civic HX, GX, & Hybrid as well as the Insight Hybrid)

This is Honda's ATF-Z1 automatic transmission fluid.

Honda has been using a special transmission fluid for a while. In some of the older Honda manuals, they recommend Dexron II be used when Genuine Honda ATF is not available. Some of our fluid suppliers said that the Honda ATF was just Dexron II (instead of the more popular Dexron III. The older Honda transmissions would often exhibit harsh shifting, especially in the morning, when Dexron III was used, but it did not seem to do any lasting damage.

However, Honda has added some very unusual transmission designs like the CVT (continuously variable transmission) and the new ATF-Z1 is what they recommend were recommending for all Honda transmissions, past and present. We would strongly urge you to use only ATF-Z1 for any modern non-CVT Honda transmission. When you come to Art's, you can be sure that your Honda will be refilled with ATF-Z1

Here's the thing...my '98 LX isn't listed on the back. Do I still use it or do I go with ATF-Z1?

I have an auto '98 LX.
Old 07-23-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is my '98 LX a CVT or not?

pretty sure only the HX and some hybrids come with CVT (continuously variable transmission) which uses belts and pulleys to select infinite gear ratios. the cvt trans autos should all have an S (sport mode) on the shifter.if yours is just the usual P, R, N, D then im guessing you have regular trans and use ATF-Z1.
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is my '98 LX a CVT or not?

Thx GB.

I searched and read numerous posts/threads about tranny fluid drain/fill and all mentioned to go with CVT. So, I just assumed CVT referred to all auto models.

I'm glad to know it doesn't. This is good to know.