6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

2000 EX not starting. Out of ideas. plz Help!

Old 05-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moline17 is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 EX not starting. Out of ideas. plz Help!

The gasket on by the thermostat failed on me and blew all my radiator fluid out. Fixed the gasket put everything back together filled up the radiator, then I tried to fire it up to get the fluid movie to get the air pockets out. It just turns over, doenst fire up. I un plugged the battery thinking the ECU needed to be reset (since hondas can be tempermental). That didnt work. Pulled the spark plug out of Cylinder 1 pluged it into into the wire put the end on the block and my buddy tried to fire it up, we got no spark out of it. Now were thinking that the distributor is bad. I go replace the distirbutor and rotor ( I just recently replaced the wires and plugs). Unplug the battery instal the distributor and still the same thing.

We've done everything that we could possibly do other than plug a scanner into it only because we don't have one.

We made sure that the head gasket didnt get blown when the seal by the thermostat went bad the plugs don't smell like coolant.

We even checked to make sure there was fuel pump was working, all good there.

Only thing other than taking it to a shop and letting them deal with it is possibly a fuse went bad possibly from coolant spraying everywhere? Which fuse is for the distributor?

Any help or suggestoins will be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2010
Registered!!

marek91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2000 EX not starting. Out of ideas. plz Help!

i had a similar problem but my rad cracked and coolant went everywere i just replaced my rad and it was working again.

It's also possible that the car has more than one thing that is causing a hard start. You could also have a bad ignition switch, a bad igniter and a bad ignition coil.

If there isn't any spark, move your spark tester to the coil tower to rule out plug wires, cap or rotor. If you still don't have spark, you have a bad ignition coil.

To check the igniter itself, you will need a scope. The igniter terminal of the igniter will have a 10-volt reference voltage. The computer will ground this terminal when it receives a pulse from the permanent magnet sensor in the distributor. The ignition coil produces spark when the igniter releases ground from the negative terminal of the coil. By probing the igniter signal and coil negative you check the input and output of the igniter. If there is a good igniter signal and nothing at the negative side of the coil, the igniter is bad.

The main relay will give you the same symptoms as a bad coil or a bad igniter. A main relay usually only fails when the weather is really hot. You might have a hard start every now and then, but not enough to really cause you any concern, but when an igniter or a coil fails, the car won't start at all until it cools down and that will be a major concern. i would try a Honda Main Relay Test.
Old 05-28-2010
Registered!!

Figured it out. The ground for the thermostat wasnt grounded in a proper place so there was no power going to the distributor, thank you for the tips!
Old 05-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good job It's amazing how much grounds can screw things up.
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

I know. It has to be something stupid. Thats what I kept saying to myself which i was correct lol.