6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Ask your intake questions here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dnice78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ask your intake questions here!

Due to the recent amount of intake related questions I think we should start a go-to thread for any intake related questions, so if you got em, post em
Old 04-09-2010
Registered!!

7thGenCuban is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ask your intake questions here!

I got an 03 Civic LX, wanted to put a cold air intake on it, but from reading its lookin like short ram is the way to go, yeah? but then im hearing from ppl that short ram does nothing for you cuz it just recycles hot air from the engine.
and from what ive seen it looks like it needs custom piping for cold air intake.
should i just keep 'er stock?
Old 04-09-2010
Registered!!

Anything you buy will be an upgrade over the stock restrictive intake system. It kind of depends on where you live, I have a short ram because I live in Minnesota and in the winter a cold air wouldn't work well. I purchased a AEM short ram and have absolutely loved it, not only does it look good, but it sounds good to. Lets face it, with our little 4 cylinders your not going to get huge gains from an intake, a couple HP at the most, but it is more efficient over a stock intake, so yes it is worth it.
Old 04-09-2010
Registered!!

Remember friends don't let friends drive STOCK
Old 04-10-2010
Registered!!

Benny88 is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree, ive installed a cold air intake on mine, sounds sweet, looks amazing, and feels a little bit quicker in response. but i live in australia, i dont have the weather problems.
just make sure u reset your ECU after installing to get the max gain from your new piece
Old 04-11-2010
Registered!!

well i live in the desert so i get all kinds of crazy weather, from like extreme cold to the triple digits summers. hmm but thats something to think about thanks dude.

how do i reset my ECU?
Old 04-11-2010
Registered!!

Benny88 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok well theres heaps of ways the ppl say to do like just disconnecting your battery for 10 min and stuff like that, but i found that this way works best. from hondahookup.com

prob the most safest to do anyway

step 1: take your car for a brisk drive to get the motor to operating temperature.

step 2: take your car home, and take the fuse for the ecu out. it'll more times than not be labeled, but on civics and integras it's under the hood for sure. wait 15 minutes.

step 3: put the fuse back in.

step 4: turn the car on. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. GIVE IT NO GAS. let the car idle for roughly 15 minutes, or until the car is idling smooth at lower rpm's.

step 5: turn the ignition off. ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE KEY. immediately turn the ignition back on after you have gone to full off. this will store the new settings your ecu has made.

hopefully it all works out well for u!
Old 04-11-2010
Registered!!

pattypatpatster is an unknown quantity at this point

im looking at installing a sri in the next few weeks...have been reading threads on them for a while now
i've heard a lot of people say to just get a ebay intake and buy a aem dryflow filter and i will save a lot of money.
i guess the ebay fittings and couplings are pretty shitty but you can just go to canadian tire and buy new ones.
anyone do this and have any problems?
pictures would help too
Old 04-11-2010
Registered!!

^Sounds like a plan, You would be ok.
Old 04-12-2010
Registered!!

Thanks bro about the ECU, as soon as i find an intake that fits my LX that'll be the first thing i do once its installed.
Old 04-13-2010
Registered!!

ztoundas is an unknown quantity at this point

How about airflow/air pressure around the intake filter? as in, what if i had side scoops on my fender that lead into a airbox built around the filter? would that do any good?
Old 04-13-2010
Registered!!

Twestcivic98 is an unknown quantity at this point

installed sri in my 98 hx no place for my intake air temp sensor where is the best place to relocate
Old 04-13-2010
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 for the AEM Short Ram
Old 04-13-2010
Registered!!

ztoundas- you mean like a ram air? ya you probably don't want to do that

twisted- the little sensor you push into a hole on the intake, I would just take of the intake and drill a hole in, about the same distance as factory.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

I ROCK THE SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 1996 civic lx. D16y7. I dont wanna do a swap so im sticking to the d series. I put just a glasspack muffler and half gutted. I dont know if next i should take of the resonator and put a straight pipe or do ebay header or cai. What are yalls opinion to give me more power?
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

billing10 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey does that ecu trick work on the 05 too????
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

should
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

JonnyT_373 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I ROCK THE SOHC
I got a 1996 civic lx. D16y7. I dont wanna do a swap so im sticking to the d series. I put just a glasspack muffler and half gutted. I dont know if next i should take of the resonator and put a straight pipe or do ebay header or cai. What are yalls opinion to give me more power?
A large diameter cat-back would do you the most good. Then some new headers and then a CAI or SRI. You will get 2 maybe 3HP from a CAI, but you can get 5 even 10hp from a cat-back and maybe 5 from new headers. IMHO I don't think that getting new headers will do you any good if you have restrictive piping.

The goal is to get as much exhaust out of the engine as quickly as possible.
Old 05-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Wrong information there. You won't gain 10hps on a D series engine with any exhaust. Getting exhaust out of the engine? Without back pressure you actually lose power. You have to be careful what exhaust you get for these engines. Unfortunately, none of them will give you a major gain. If you get a SRI, a cat back, and header your max gain will probably be 10hps total, if that.

In other words it's basically a waste of money and mostly cosmetic or for sound. Or bragging rights. Your trying to get power out of a car that won't deliver Your not going to make this car fast unless you spend a lot of money.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-19-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

YEA! Put a 3" cat-back exhaust on a sohc n/a civic!

as ^^^ mentioned, you NEED backpressure so your car runs right. If you wanna try an experiment to see how shitty your car runs with UBER HIGH FLOW EXHAUST, disconnect your exhuast manifold to downpipe connection, and put it back together, offset by ½ inch. If you set it up correctly, the two pipes will align like a venn diagram. Start up your car and realize how much low end power you lose (so much that upon acceleration, it'll almost bog down and die). On top of that, it'll sound like a Harley.

Now, I bring that scenario up because that's what I accidentally did when I installed my random tech high flow cat. Unless you're running boost, there's no need to go bigger than a 2.25" exhaust.

And honestly, adding those bolt ons usually does one thing, shifts the power band. Sure, it'll "give" you a few minuscule horsepower up top, but you'll usually lose power in the low end.

/rant
Old 05-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I turbo my exhaust?
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Yes. Only you're allowed to.

Little known fact, adding the tornado intake insert in your exhaust stream will cause your exhaust to exit faster. It's simple physics
Old 05-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

LoL Sweet... ^ That's an excellent piece of information. Don't forget to get an ebay chip so you can tune that... It's hard to keep that much power contained.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-19-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

make sure you install it JUST after your catalytic converter or resonator (if you didn't remove it already)
Old 05-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Doo yas think it better to turbo exhost or gettrrid of it completley?

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-19-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

I ROCK THE SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point

What about cai because im starting to think i might be getting all the exhaust out but if im not getting it in then whats the point?
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Stick an AEM Dryflow filter on a eBayDM tube and you should be fine
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Then again, who am I to speak. I have an AEM V2 on my car
Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
Doo yas think it better to turbo exhost or gettrrid of it completley?
Teh turbo muffler!
Old 05-19-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ I can't believe you found that.

AEM dryflow FTW.

Quick Reply: Ask your intake questions here!