6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Clicking/Rattling noise front of car, not speed/rpm dependent

Old 03-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mkokotovich is an unknown quantity at this point
Clicking/Rattling noise front of car, not speed/rpm dependent

Hello,

I recently (three days ago) bought a 2000 Civic LX. I got it for pretty cheap, but I don't know the service history.

When I took it for a test drive, I heart a slight rattling noise when accelerating. However, it went away, so I forgot about it and bought the car. Now, upon further driving, I hear this noise more often.

I first thought the noise was a mechanical rattling, like some part of the body/engine was loose and rattling. Now, after reading as many posts as I can find on rattling/clicking noises, I'm beginning to suspect otherwise.

The noise happens whenever I accelerate or go up hills, especially on a cold engine. I have noticed that driving around the city once the noise didn't go away, even though the engine was warm. So perhaps the noise only goes away after reaching highway speeds? That seems odd though. Also, the noise doesn't seem to happen in first gear.

It sounds like a clicking/rattling noise, not evenly spaced and not dependent on the speed or how fast the engine is going (it doesn't speed up or slow down with the car). It almost sounds like morse code coming from the front of my car in clicks. The only way it changes is by sometimes getting louder the harder I punch the gas.

Given all this, I don't know what to think. My guesses have gone from mechanical rattling, clicking due to poor valve adjustment, loose heat shield, to I have no clue.

Does anyone know if the noises from poor valve adjustment would increase/decrease with speed/rpm? If so I think I can rule that out. What exactly does the heat shield look like? I have read about it, but don't really know what to look for when looking under my car. If it were the heat shield, why would it go away after a while? Are the any possibilities that I am overlooking?

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 03-19-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clicking/Rattling noise front of car, not speed/rpm dependent

depends, metal does weird things when its hot or cold. so its possible after everything warms and expands the noise goes away. poorly adjusted valves would make noise all the time.
Old 03-19-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

depends, metal does weird things when its hot or cold. so its possible after everything warms and expands the noise goes away. poorly adjusted valves would make noise all the time.
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

So I can rule out the valves, because the noise goes away after a while. Do you know what the heat shield looks like, or precisely where it is? I've tried to find pictures online, but no success. I am planning on inspecting the brakes this weekend, so when I have it jacked up I'll take a look under the car while it is running, hopefully find what is making the noise. It doesn't make the noise often idling though, so hopefully I can reproduce it while I'm under there.
Old 03-20-2009
Premium Member

there are many heatshields, one over the exhaust manifold near the engine, and a few more under the car around the exhaust pipes and cat. try tightening the header/manifold shield first it may just be loose. if it doesnt make the noise at idle, try revving the engine in neutral. would help if someone else did that so you can go listen for the sound.
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

Sounds good, I'll give it a try this weekend and report back. Thanks for your reply!
Old 08-26-2011
Registered!!

neptizle is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2002 Honda Civic DX Coupe.. I am having the same issue with my car, the rattling noise starts after i shift to second gear and disappears on high speeds. Also I took the heat shield out in the front of the engine and it still doesnt make a difference. Any suggestions on how to get the proplem resolved ?