6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Wind Noise 96 Civic Windows or Door?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dchawkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Wind Noise 96 Civic Windows or Door?

I have 96 Civic, and glad to have it...but is it typical to hear noise from wind when going fast...well 60 mph. I would not think so....my car has whistle noise at fronT rail of passenger window, down at the bottom front of window. And seems like its also around top back of front doors. However, in looking closer at gasket around door it looks good to me. And don't know what if anything I can check on that front rail. Does anyone else have air noise problems. Does anyone know of likely cause for air noise around windows/door. THANKS
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

etrmedia is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wind Noise 96 Civic Windows or Door?

I have a 96 Civic as well, and have similar noise issues. After looking into it, I've determined that my problems are:

-Cracked door weatherstrips
-Uneven window molding
-Slightly loose mirror mounting

I've fixed the mirror, but have yet to replace my seals. After checking with a dealer (expensive, I know, but I've been too lazy to look anywhere else) I received a quote for $360 to replace every piece of molding for my 2 door. Maybe it's time for a trip to the junkyard.

Two other things you can do:

-Fold a dollar bill in half and close it in your door with the window down. Slide it back and forth like a saw and make a note of where there is no resistance. There, examine the weatherstrip and determine if it needs replacement.
-Bearing in mind that Civics from our generation experience considerably more road noise, consider Dynamat or some noise insulation from Aircraft Spruce (a bit cheaper than Dynamat). I'll be tearing out my interior this summer and installing noise insulation, and I'll make a note here of where I get the most bang for my buck.
Old 02-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have all sorts of wind noises in my 7thgen
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by gearbox
i have all sorts of wind noises in my 7thgen
First time my girl rode in my car shes messing with the window, Im like what are you doing- shes like it sounds like the windows down.

Werds... I got wind noise too. My weather stripping and mirror are fine though. I think its just the lack of sound deadening material and the grove of the door that isnt totally flush. If you could figure out how to make the door sit closer in, then I'm sure you'd loose a significant portion of your wind noise. Maybe this is as easy as moving the silver hook in the door jam in slightly?
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i played with the rubber stoppers thinking it would sit in more, but no, i guess the latch needs adjusting but i cant figure out how to do it.
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Well, since there isnt any movement in the two screw locations holding the latch on you only got one option- Unscrew the latch and shave away some material so your can effectively slide the latch in more. If you have issues with the screws holding the latch in place you can have a machine shop machine some seats for the heads of the screws to sit nicely. I'd do this on a spare latch though- junkyards ftw.
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

its too bad they are not on sliding brackets like the trunk latch.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

dk1021 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same problem with my 7th gen. Thought window wasn't shut properly but they were all shut. Could be the window visors since it uses clips but who knows.
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this same issue on my 2001 civic. And have for years now and is really pissing me off, having to turn the radio/music louder just to hear it over the wind sound. Grrr.
I thought it was a window issue but am leaning more towards a door seal problem. As mentioned previously, I too think it's to do with the latch on the door. Over time, I suppose it has worn just enough, so the door isn't being pressed up with as much pressure anymore.

I've had to adjust the latch before, as I noticed my door wasn't flush one day, and the two screws holding the latch were loose. Tightened them up and fixed that problem. Maybe the latch just needs to be tapped a little closer towards the inside of the car so more force is applied when the door closes.

Anyone have any luck with this issue??
Old 01-17-2011
Registered!!

slapoutz is an unknown quantity at this point

hey man i know the problem and fix well at least for an 02 civic si, its probly the same problem, anyways the problem is the window seal, when you roll up the window at the front of the window theres a little hole, the way i fixed it on my car was i took a piece of hot waterpipe insulation cut it to size and put it where the window rolls up just in the crack at the top.
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slapoutz
hey man i know the problem and fix well at least for an 02 civic si, its probly the same problem, anyways the problem is the window seal, when you roll up the window at the front of the window theres a little hole, the way i fixed it on my car was i took a piece of hot waterpipe insulation cut it to size and put it where the window rolls up just in the crack at the top.

Was the hole on the inside or outside of the car when you rolled up the window? Would you be able to attach a few pics just so we all could get a better idea of what you're explaining? Thanks.