7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Just hit 90,000

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joetab24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just hit 90,000

Hi all, hoping to get 90,000 more out of my 04 Civic. As I pass, 90,000, wondering if there are some maintenance tasks/part replacements that should be on my radar. Need to go grab my manual. To date, I have had virtually no issues with this car. Thanks for your help!

Joe
Old 04-17-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Just hit 90,000

Originally Posted by joetab24
Hi all, hoping to get 90,000 more out of my 04 Civic. As I pass, 90,000, wondering if there are some maintenance tasks/part replacements that should be on my radar. Need to go grab my manual. To date, I have had virtually no issues with this car. Thanks for your help!
Are you the original owner?
Service records? Recommended maintance since purchase?
Maintenece schedule available in owner's manual, through dealer or possibly via Google search.

Unless previously replaced or performed at regular maintenance...At 90K miles it's time to:
Replace the timing belt, belt tensioner, waterpump and accessory belts.
If it's an automatic transmisson then a 3x3 ATF drain and fill is in order
Valves adjustment
Coolant (antifreeze) system drain, fill and bleed air.
Replace spark plugs if original.

Neglecting to replace the timing belt could lead to bent intake/exhaust valves if the current belt breaks.

If you keep up with routine maintenence another 90K is within reasonable expectations
Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

siliconvalley is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 04 Civic also. It's 292K miles now. I plan to do a new timing belt, etc. soon. The new parts from a Honda dealer is about $350. My mechanic charges me $600 for labor. Our Civic needs a new timing belt every 100K miles. At this high mileage, my Civic still drives as smooth as the day I got it 4 years ago.
Old 04-18-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ Order online and save over dealers MSRP.
Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

I am the original owner. And over the years I have had work done here and there. For a while I was taking it to the dealer. But stopped going there around 06-07. I have definitely become sloppy about hanging on to all of my paperwork. Need to get my act together!

Thanks for your help!
Joe
Old 04-18-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

sloppy Joe
Old 04-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

this is the time a lot of us had the head gasket go, me included...

so test the headgasket

recommended method is described in the first post here

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html

it's the time to replace timing belt anyway, so it's halfway there, but do test it first. Some have reported going 250k with their original ones, most did not.
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

I am guessing the answer is no, but I am curious. Is there a benefit to getting this maintenance work done at a Honda dealer?
Old 04-19-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

most of our recommendations for timing belt and head gasket is to use OEM parts - some did not have much luck with aftermarket ones, although some were installation error.

i did mine over three weeks myself, but it can be done faster in a mechanic (i have another car, so did it at my leisure)
Old 04-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I am guessing the answer is no, but I am curious. Is there a benefit to getting this maintenance work done at a Honda dealer?
It all depends on the individual who is doing the work, no matter where you go......
You can always make sure to request the shop uses genuine Honda parts as well, most ethical shops will do that without hesitation.

You may find some extremely talented individuals working in independent shops and dealership shops alike.....and you can also find people at the opposite end of the spectrum at both places.

Seems like very few shops anywhere keep a full staff of top-gun talent.

Most shops, dealers included, employ mechanics with a wide range of abilities and talents, skill and experience.
Some are rookies, others masters of the trade, and everything inbetween.
Some are really observant, others might be blind.
Some take great pride in their work, really really want to do a job absolutely correct (and will go out of their way to make it happen whenever possible)............ others notsomuch, they only do good enough to get by and no more.

Some shouldn't be any closer to a car than leaning out the drive up window asking "Would you like fries with that?".....and this week they are trying to change your oil.

Some shops stifle and suppress techs who are otherwise very talented.

I'd stay far away from chain stores no matter what.

It's very handy to know who is who and who is good at what type of work, and when you find a tech (or a select few) who does absolutely great work, and you are comfortable with that person......stick with that person (or people), ask for him by name every time. Even if that tech goes to another shop.
Old 04-22-2017
Registered!!

Thanks, guys, for all of your help!

Joe