7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Classic Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan242 is an unknown quantity at this point
Classic Air Bag Light

Hi guys... Bought an 02 Acura (civic) has the air bag light on. Code read 6-3 faulty modeul with paper clip trick I checked with my scanner got. 15-1 seat belt sensor. Tried to clear the code but it pops right back up. It's been in a front end colision also seats have been swapped to add to this headache. Does it sound like the module? I see used on eBay for 90$ but who says they work.
Old 04-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Classic Air Bag Light

6-3 is an internal failure of the control unit.

It may be set by low system voltage (weak or dead battery).....but it sounds like you may have already covered that possibility?
If you have a good strong battery, erased codes and it will not go away, replace the control unit.

Then you can see if there are other real fault codes.

15-1 is a code for the OPDS (occupant detection system) not initialized.....you said it has different seats, are they Honda and of a similar car, same generation? Does the passengers seat have the OPDS system installed in it?

Assuming the replacement seat DOES have the necessary parts inside it.....the brand new SRS control unit may or may not recognize and accept the seat system on its own. If it does, then great. If not, you will need to initialize it manually.
Old 04-04-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the help.I can use the scanner to test the battery. But I don't know if it tests both load and voltage. I can hook up another battery with booster cables and try again. The seats look to be factory Acura but the model year I don't know. Also not sure about the passenger seat has OPSS.

Onto the SRS module. What's my best bet for replacement part? New wont be cheap used might not work. I am in Canada so we get ripped off buying new or used. The swap looks easy disconnect battery and it's a few bolts then plug and play.
Old 04-04-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Try junk yards, look underneath the passenger seat and you should be able to see the yellow electrical connectors for all the srs stuff
Old 04-04-2017
Registered!!

I see your from Barrie. Short boat ride away from me (pefferlaw). Also lived in Barrie for 2 years. Cookstown auto may have something
Old 04-04-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Yeah Cookstown should have some, or try the yards in Toronto, There's also a GTA Honda Facebook group where people post tons of parts for sale, and 705 Honda Club on Facebook as well. Never hurts to check Kijiji also.
Old 04-04-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

look underneath the passenger seat and you should be able to see the yellow electrical connectors for all the srs stuff
Ya, looks like there would be a row of connectors under the front edge of the seat that connect to the floor wiring harness...there will be at least one yellow, but the OPDS system connector may not be. It shows to be GRAY in my Civic diagram, w/4 wires in it.
At any rate, there should not be any "extras" on the harness not connected to anything on the seat. If there are extras, the seat may not be a match for the car.

What's my best bet for replacement part? New wont be cheap used might not work.
IDK, that's up to you. Beware-- a used unit must come from a car that matches your cars specs and equipment exactly (research part numbers if possible).

I've had to discover first-hand there can be huge differences between Canadian market SRS systems and USA market systems on some cars that seemed otherwise identical.

With used you run the risk of getting one that has already deployed charges in a crash (half the cars in a boneyard are crash victims, right?) and a unit that has deployed any of the safety devices is rendered unusable.

"Rebuilt" control unit or service may be offered on the internet, but again, that is absolutely not approved by Honda. (FWIW it can be a nightmare to diagnose one of those with strange problems.)

But hey, safety is super important unless it costs too much!
The swap looks easy disconnect battery and it's a few bolts then plug and play.
Plus initializing manually if needed.
Old 04-05-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look under the seat tonight. As for the module I found a place in Toronto that says they can re set the module good as new, going to give them a call today or tomorrow and see what the deal is
Old 04-05-2017

Originally Posted by Ryan242
that says they can re set the module good as new, going to give them a call today or tomorrow and see what the deal is
This is exactly what I was talking about when I said

"Rebuilt" control unit or service may be offered on the internet, but again, that is absolutely not approved by Honda. (FWIW it can be a nightmare to diagnose one of those with strange problems.)