7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGR Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Cain is an unknown quantity at this point
EGR Bolts

Had an oil leak at the cam black plastic plug on the top of the motor. Went to NAPA and picked up the cap and an EGR gasket.

When I unbolted the EGR the studs came with the nuts. Just used a 10" 3/8 drive extension with a 12mm socket. Loosened with no major drama. Replaced the plastic cap and went to try and reinstall the EGR. I have every damned kind of socket known along with universal joints, wobbles and various size 12mm sockets. I left the nuts on the studs and figured I'd be able to get them back in. The front I had success but the back bolt really gave me trouble.

Here's my simple question. Does anyone know if I can simply replace the stud/nut combination with a simple bolt? I can't think of any reason unless I'm missing something. I plan on running to the hardware store tomorrow and match up the stud/nut combo with a standard bolt with the appropriate threads and reasonable length.

Any gotchas in my plan? Let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by John Cain; 03-26-2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EGR Bolts

Does anyone know if I can simply replace the stud/nut combination with a simple bolt?
Sure can. Just check the depth of the hole and do the math to make sure you don't try to stick a bolt in there that's too long.
Old 03-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

The bolt is 8mm X 22MM according to a Honda parts website and the nut is 8MM.

Part # for bolt/stud is 92900-08022-0B
Part # for nut is 94050-08080 ; 94050-08080-08; 94050-08080-03; 940500808003; 940500808008
Old 03-27-2017
Registered!!

NDNV--

Excellent information. Thanks very much.
Old 03-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

X 22MM
That length should be for the stud, which will have a few threads sticking up above the nut once assembled.
If OP wants to replace it with a normal bolt, it will have to be somewhat shorter to avoid bottoming out---- unless the bottom of the threaded hole is open.
Or use a stack of washers to keep it from bottoming out.
Old 03-27-2017
Registered!!

Went to the hardware store and picked up a couple 8mm x 12mm bolts with the proper thread. They threaded in the holes independently but I could not get them threaded with the EGR and gasket in place. In the end I used the factory hardware and was able to get everything tightened down. Tight space + big hands made it especially challenging. But, in the end it's done. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.