7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

04 civic- idling high, bogging out/trouble accelerating, squealing noise from belt??!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtkoble is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 04 civic- idling high, bogging out/trouble accelerating, squealing noise from belt??!

Ive had a few problems with this car since I bought it, but this tops them all.
Just had valve gasket replaced, I had noticed some oil where I knew it shouldn't be so I took it to the shop and they replaced it. Now today I start the car and everything was fine. I came to a stop into a parking lot and I noticed what sounded like a belt squealing but it quickly went away. I only noticed it once more and it went away quickly just like the time before.
About five minutes later I came to a stop at a stop light and I heard some revving and I noticed it was coming from my car. I looked down and it went all the way up to the four, went down then backup repeated it a couple of times. As I went to accelerate the car would not go, it was revving high again but wouldnt go more then a slow roll. because I was on a downhill slope I was able to get to the side of the road. I tried putting it into D3, same thing.
I shut the car off and started it back up, it accelerated then but I noticed a dramatic loss of power. The car would not go over 25-30 mph. I could smell a burning smell, and my gas milage the past week has been awful. A half tank for just over 100 miles! Yikes.
So I made it home, shut the car off and let it sit for a while. Went back out opened the hood, and there was oil every where. The hood prop (rod that olds hood up) had oil on it, its on the valve gasket cover, its even near my battery.

Does anyone have any clue what this could be???
PLEASE HELP ME!! 😭
Old 03-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 civic- idling high, bogging out/trouble accelerating, squealing noise from bel

I don't know about the revving, but the rest of this sounds like you have an EX car with the VTEC engine, it's leaked almost all of the oil out of the engine, which has caused a fault code for VTEC failure because the oil pressure was too low to support safe operation. Now the computer has the engine in limp mode with very low RPM and power limit.
Has the severe loss of oil caused internal engine damage? I can't tell from where I sit.

======
Was this shop trusted and used by yourself before, or are you a first timer there?
======

How low is the engine oil level now? Not registering on the dipstick, I assume?

Alert the shop that the engine did whatever it did wrong ...and the car now has a HUGE oil mess all over, the oil is leaking profusely from around the same area they were supposed to fix.... (is it also making knocking noises? Make sure to say so if it is) burning smells, puddle on the ground, oil is not even touching the dipstick, etc.

The shop should be given the opportunity to make it right, assuming this was an error on the part of their installer.

So call them up, tell them what's going on with the car.......Ask the shop what they would like to do about it.
Would they like to tow it in? You'd hate to drive it and damage the engine any more than what's already happened.

If the shop refuses to take care of their problem......Refill the oil to the proper level if needed. You may need nearly 3 full quarts of oil. Seek a better shop or DIY the valve cover gasket job.

JMHO. YMMV.
HTH
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

Re: 04 civic- idling high, bogging out/trouble accelerating, squealing noise from bel

I went out and checked oil and it actually appears to have some still left in there. I also took some pictures of the oil on the engine to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.
I am going to see what the shop says in the morning about getting this fixed.
Currently there is no engine light on. Im hoping it didnt do too much harm. The valve gasket was replaced yesterday and I was told that should have fixed the oil leak that I saw in the beginning- now I seem to have a much bigger problem on my hands. This damn car has been nothing but a headache
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170322_215415.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	89636   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170322_215430.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	89637   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170322_215434.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	89638   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170322_215449.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	89639  
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Courtkoble
I went out and checked oil and it actually appears to have some still left in there. I also took some pictures of the oil on the engine to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.
I am going to see what the shop says in the morning about getting this fixed.
Currently there is no engine light on. Im hoping it didnt do too much harm. The valve gasket was replaced yesterday and I was told that should have fixed the oil leak that I saw in the beginning- now I seem to have a much bigger problem on my hands. This damn car has been nothing but a headache
That forth photo... is that a crack on the block below the rad. hose?
Old 03-23-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oil level looks safe enough, that's good to see....

It would be interesting to see if there are any fault codes stored in the computer memory, that could give clues as to why it lost power.

So the leak needs fixed, oil refiled, clean off the mess, check trans/coolant/steering fluid levels, then evaluate how it runs and drives.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

Ok. Im going to get it cleaned up in the morning. Is there a certain cleaner that I should use to clean the oil off? Once I check all the fluid levels- if they are okay, should I see how it drives or should just look into having it towed to another mechanic? The owner at the shop I always take it to is out of town until next week and the guy that helps him isnt answering our calls now. Ive made some calls today to see what I can do about getting my $ back for this car. I havent even had it a month, and Ive put almost 1k into it. Not ok at all.
Thank you guys for your help and input.
Old 03-23-2017

I wouldn't bother cleaning anything until the leak is fixed. Running it will just make more mess as you drive it to this shop or the next.

If you just start spraying cleaning agents and water around, you may cause more problems---especially if the source of the huge oil leak lets anything INTO the engine.

Can you contact the shops owner first? Any reputable shop will warranty their work, yes?
If the shop caused all of the mess, then said shop should be taking care of all of this, not you... IMHO.
Maybe he will agree to cover the expense of another shop fixing it.
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

Well, turns out it was the transmission. Had to replace it. Time to sell this car, Im done with Hondas!
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Courtkoble
Well, turns out it was the transmission. Had to replace it. Time to sell this car, Im done with Hondas!
yeah because you would never have a problem with another manufacturers transmission after 13 years
Old 04-13-2017
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you go into detail what you found?