7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

D17A1 Running Rough After Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oleschool is an unknown quantity at this point
D17A1 Running Rough After Timing Belt Replacement

I just finished replacing the timing belt and cylinder head on my car.It ran great for a couple of days and today started running really rough. I've read that the tb could have skipped one tooth.I replaced the tensioner and followed the installation instructions.How could this happen?

Is there any other reason that the car would run rough after a couple of days?
Old 03-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17A1 Running Rough After Timing Belt Replacement

and today started running really rough.
Got fault codes? If so, start there.

I've read that
If it has no related fault codes, and you think it could have skipped a tooth, pull the upper timing cover off and recheck timing mark alignment. No guessing.

Your tools are still warm, shouldn't take long to get that far apart LOL
Old 03-18-2017
Registered!!

Does this mean theres a problem with the belt tensioner? I turned the engine over twice by hand before removing the factory clip in the tensioner.The bolt was torqued to factory spec and I used all Honda parts.
Old 03-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean theres a problem with the belt tensioner?
Not unless or until you prove there is.

For all you know, this could be a brand new problem completely unrelated to work you did 2 days ago. Until you KNOW otherwise, you're just guessing.

So what's the fault code?
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

I had a buddy check the codes because I'm in a different town.I don't know the numbers but one was a low reading from the O2 sensor and the other was the Crank Position Sensor out of range.He cleared both and drove the car.Seems to be running fine now.Very weird.Had me second guessing my work...lol.
Old 03-19-2017

Sounds like maybe a P0137 code? (if code was for front sensor B1S1)
The O2 sensor will likely reset the code again in the future, many types of faults are intermittent.

The CKP code (P0335/P0336/P0339).......You had to unbolt the crank sensor to slip the timing belt off and on......Did you unplug the wiring harness when you did that? If so, you could have created an intermittent contact issue between the terminals of the harness and sensor by disturbing the connection.

That connector may also be susceptible to moisture entry if the seal is compromised, and liquid in an electrical connection is not good. Inspect for signs of corrosion on both the sensor terminals and the harness connector terminals.
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

I did disconnect the Crank Sensor and the O2 sensor when I disconnected the wiring harness.Hopefully the codes won't come back.
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough

Unrelated question about the timing belt tensioner for ezone that doesn't deserve its own thread:

I had my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2005 EL a short while ago but the dealer said they didn't have any tensioners so I kept my old one. They said there was nothing wrong with the original and that it's not very common for the OEM belt tensioner to go bad (not sure if I believe that).

Can the belt tensioner pulley be replaced by accessing it through the lower cover without going through the whole process over again?
Old 03-19-2017

Originally Posted by RustyShackle
Unrelated question about the timing belt tensioner for ezone that doesn't deserve its own thread:

I had my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2005 EL a short while ago but the dealer said they didn't have any tensioners so I kept my old one. They said there was nothing wrong with the original and that it's not very common for the OEM belt tensioner to go bad (not sure if I believe that).

Can the belt tensioner pulley be replaced by accessing it through the lower cover without going through the whole process over again?
I've never tried it that way, and I've not ever looked to see if that's a possibility.

I used to go on the assumption that the original tensioner would last to the 2nd belt change (200k), then replace it at that time.....but after reading others stories here I see it may fail earlier than I expected.
Now I suggest it be replaced at every 100k belt maint, and use Honda part.
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I've never tried it that way, and I've not ever looked to see if that's a possibility.
Interesting - looks like it would be really awkward to ensure the belt doesn't jump or move the cam gear and trying to get the spring off/on would be a pain.

Name:  xJskOX0.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  60.3 KB
Old 03-19-2017

The spring still has to be hooked up, think you can accomplish that without pulling the upper cover?
Old 03-19-2017
Registered!!

The spring still has to be hooked up, think you can accomplish that without pulling the upper cover?
Maybe if I had an upper cover like this - LOL

Definitely would be working blind trying to fish that spring up onto the post but seems 'possible'.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

I can look into it... I'm working on do my timing belt change tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 2003 Acura EL and did not replace the tensioner as well. It was explained to me that it is a spring mechanism and fairly robust to last until next TB change. Not like the hydraulic type that was on my Odyssey van. At the time, I was doing the TB service and the head gasket and costs were creeping up there. In hindsight, I could have paid another $150 CDN for the tensioner for the peace of mind but bill was already $1500K.
Old 03-25-2017
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OneJzSupra
I can look into it... I'm working on do my timing belt change tomorrow.

After replacing my timing belt I don't think you it can be done without removing the top cover. Also at first start up my car ran rough and I thought I ****ed my motor up. turns out I missed a tooth and had to open her back up to fix it.